Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Vertical Marathon- Endurance and Teamwork

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. —Philippians 3:14

The comparison between the Christian journey has often been likened to that of a marathon, and I'll get to test that metaphor out this January! I'll be running with some great friends, and that'll be so much better than running on your own, which can sometimes be lonely and tiresome. In fact, that's what I'm looking forward to most. Although we sometimes forget, we have 'running buddies' in the race of our faith as well. We're here to encourage each other and help one another along the way. We're there for each other when someone 'hits the wall' or is 'in the zone' or anything in between.

And while there are similarities... dedication, endurance, strength, discipline and persistence to name a few... there are also differences. One stood out to me as I read this text this morning. "The upward call." Well, I've never been invited by officials to a race, but I'm sure there are some professional runners. And the best, most prestigious, most holy coach in the world has called us to this race that we run. God! In a different kind of race that leads not to gift certificates or sportware but to grace and salvation. Now that's the kind of prize worth running for! Up, up, and away!

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever.
to him who alone does great wonders,
His love endures forever.
who by his understanding made the heavens,
His love endures forever. - Psalm 135:1-5

All runners know about endurance, the key element in any long-distance race. Wordreference.com defines 'endurance' as "the power to withstand hardship or stress." I like this definition for two reasons. First of all, it says 'withstand,' not love or enjoy or easily deal with, but withstand. And then, it mentions stress... every student knows the stress of mounting piles of reading, papers that need to be written, and classes that need to be attended. It reminds me that I need to pray for endurance, and God will help me to get through everything... just as I have before.

And "God's love endures forever." God's love is always there... though I know that I've put Him through hardships... I have hurt the beautiful temple He has given to me on this earth... I have forgotten him... and so many other things, but God's love withstands those hardships, that stress that I have put on our relationship. Thank You, Lord, for loving me no matter what... for a love that holds on when I'm not enough and need all of Your perfect love and grace to save me.

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. - 1 Corinthians 12:7-11

A familiar verse, and keeping with the running theme today, let's think of the track team. To one there is given the message of running form (coach), to another the message of speed (sprinters), to another the message of endurance (distance), to another the message of strength (throwers), etc. Wherever we are... whether it's the composition of a church or a job place or a Bible study, it is evident that we don't have the same gifts. In fact, even a group of teachers will teach in a different way with a different sort of emphasis.

In the church, this is a beautiful thing, because the gifts work to complement one another. That's why I love and appreciate ecumenical gatherings, actually. Some churches emphasize social involvement and service, others emphasize intense worship, others emphasize evangelism. But if we could learn to see all churches as one, as parts of the body... it would be so beautiful. Then we could see what I believe is already taking place... the work of one and the same spirit, given to each one, just as He determines.

No comments: