Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Say It: With Grace, Accuracy and Action

Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips.-Ecclesiastes 10:12

We often hear this word "gracious," but I was thinking about it's meaning this morning and couldn't pin it down... so I turned to the dictionary where it is describes as "displaying warmth, kindness, courtesy, politeness, good taste, charm and producing good things." I was struck by the fact that all of these words are so warm... it is all so loving.

Like the other day, this verse seems to point out the difference between 'wise' and 'knowledgeable.' A knowledgable man speaks knowledgeable things... but a wise man speaks them well- speaks them with kindness... and this produces good things. If what we say isn't said with love, isn't said warmly, we are 'consuming our own lips'- it is only for ourselves that we are speaking. No one will listen to you until they know what you say is out of love for them. Lord, teach me to let every word I speak come from you... let every word I speak be gracious and produce good things for your kingdom.

A word aptly spoken
is like apples of gold in settings of silver.
Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold
is a wise man's rebuke to a listening ear.
Like the coolness of snow at harvest time
is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him;
he refreshes the spirit of his masters. -Proverbs 25:11-13

While I included the whole series of verses here, this morning I am particularly impressed by verse 13. The trustworthy messenger. In this day it is so hard to trust. More than a few people have told me that when they first met me, they were skeptical whether it was really me or whether it was just a 'show.' Sad... because we live in an age where it's hard to trust that people are good and kind and just wanting to live and love and serve the Lord. Similarly, it's hard to trust what people say, because so often people say one thing and then the opposite or they say one thing and do another.

But we need to live in such a way that we are trustworthy. It is so important, because we are messengers, with the ultimately important message of Christ and his love, grace and salvation. And we do want to refresh the soul of our Master. Lord, may I be ever faithful, obedient and worthy of your trust in me... so that others may know You through me.

This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! -2 Corinthians 9:12-15

Not only with our words, Paul says... but with our actions. With our gifts (whether they be time, talent, money) we can actually cause people to praise God! But interestingly, he mentions that it is not just the gift without the confession nor the confession without the gift... both together (the action and the word) 'speak' in a very powerful way about God's surpassing grace. Not only that... it causes even more 'speaking'-- causing people to share with them and everyone else! Lord, may my gifts, my talents and my time be all for your glory... to share about Your love. Thank You for Your indescribable gift, Father!!! I know that my gifts seem so so small in comparison, but may they all be for Your glory, may they all speak of You...

Right now I am praying to You, Father. I dedicate this day to listen to You, to learn Your heart and Your direction for my life. Lord, I want to be obedient to where You want me to go, what You want me to do... wherever and whatever that may be. Teach me faith and patience to trust that You will be faithful in guiding me to where You want me in Your time. Thank You for Your promise to guide me... and Your faithfulness in how You have always guided my life. The mercy and love that You show to Your humble servant is so amazing... why me, Father? Thank You for loving me. I am so small, and Your are so great, but You look on me. Holy are You, Father... Holy and good and loving. I give this day to You.

No comments: