Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Christian's New Clothes

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. -Matthew 6:28-33

Yesterday I reflected on these verses but didn't get a chance to write anything about them. This verse really stood out to me yesterday as I thought not just about how God takes care of my needs but how He takes care of tomorrow. So many people focus so much on outward appearance, and while that is fine, we need to remember that it's not what is seen, it's what is unseen.

7 All beautiful you are, my darling;
there is no flaw in you.

8 Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,
come with me from Lebanon.
Descend from the crest of Amana,
from the top of Senir, the summit of Hermon,
from the lions' dens
and the mountain haunts of the leopards.

9 You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride;
you have stolen my heart
with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace.

10 How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride!
How much more pleasing is your love than wine,
and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice!

11 Your lips drop sweetness as the honeycomb, my bride;
milk and honey are under your tongue.
The fragrance of your garments is like that of Lebanon. -Song of Solomon 4:7-11

What a beautiful verse. It's so nice to hear such sweet things from the one you love. And to hear that you are beautiful to them. When we are faithful to the Lord, we are beautiful to Him too.

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. -Galatians 3:26-29

We have new clothes... clothed as Christians, we don't need to worry about these clothes wearing out or needing to be patched. They cover our transgressions and they show that we are His.

No comments: