Monday, September 14, 2009

Obedience: To His Commands, To His Plans, To His Will

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. -Deuteronomy 6:4-9

I have always loved this verse. The images are for some reason so very vibrant to me. I can see them tied like ribbons or wreaths on my doorframes and like scarves and beautiful bracelets on my wrists and forehead. And it is more beautiful than the finest jewelry! And these commands that I choose to obey (all of these bracelets and ribbons) link to one single clasp. The love of our one and only Lord. I think it is no accident that what precedes this exclamation about close adherence to the commands is a declaration of love for our one Lord. Love is what holds us together and keeps us obedient to His ways. Thank You, Father for Your beautiful love that has created these beautiful commandments that decorate my soul and my heart and my whole life with all good things.

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. -Proverbs 19:21

Right now, I am whispering this verse to myself over and over again. I know God comes to me in my devotions and speaks to me through His powerful transforming word. My life right now is coming to another mysterious crossroad. While the world asks, "Where will you go?" and "What will you do?," I ask "Where do You want me to go?" and "What do You want me to do?" Father, there are so many ideas and so many possibilities, which is a beautiful thing... but help me to trust that Your purpose will prevail, and You will help me to know Your will in due time.

And his affection for you is all the greater when he remembers that you were all obedient, receiving him with fear and trembling. I am glad I can have complete confidence in you. -2 Corinthians 7:15-16

Just the other day I was talking to Brad and Reena about what it means to fear the Lord and the importance of this throughout the Old Testament. To be obedient, they needed to be fearful and trembling. Perhaps it was something about the time period, and they suggested how often we forget that this was written to people who knew no God. Well, I feel that sometimes I do need to remember to fear the Lord, not fear exactly but feel more respectful and reverent, always remembering and knowing His almighty power... obeying Him. Sometimes Lord, I really ask whether I am being obedient to You? Is this where You want me? What should I be doing? Show me Your path for my life, Lord... so that I may follow You always.

No comments: