Friday, September 25, 2009

Love for His Chidren, for His Bride

My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you. —Galatians 4:19

As is reflected in this verse by Paul, God loves His children. And he pains (labors) over us... hoping that we may soon reach spiritual maturity. He wants so much for us to grow in the Spirit. We are constantly growing and learning more and becoming more like Christ, who is being formed in us.

Last night Brad asked me about my birthday coming up, and I told him it was a blessing. The thing is that I wouldn't wish to be 18 again. I have learned so much and grown so much and changed so much since then. I have had so many experiences that have helped me to become a 27 year old. Similarly next year, I'll hopefully continue to grow into a more mature 28 year old. It's the same with our faith. I wouldn't want to be a spiritual infant again- watered-down stories and a faith without a personal devotional and prayer time, a desire to learn the scriptures so well. Lord, continue to form Yourself in me... that I may grow ever closer to You.

Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.

Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned. -Song of Solomon 8:6-7

I have always loved this verse, and recently it has become so much more real to me... since this kind of love is now real to me. This love is so strong... stronger than any love I have felt, so new and so different... and I am so so blessed by it. It is unyielding, even when things are complicated by work and obligations and emotions. It is a burning flame that is powerful. It cannot be washed away... and it cannot be bought. I am convinced that it is a beautiful beautiful gift from my Father.

And as Song of Solomon is often seen as a comparison of the Father's love for us... I am challenged to imagine a love like this coming from the Lord. It takes on new characteristics... thinking of how God's love could even be more powerful and beautiful than that of meu amor.

No comments: