Friday, September 18, 2009

Eternally Minded

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. —Romans 8:18

This verse quite beautifully describes the basis behind "Liberation Theology," the idea that no matter how bad we have it here on earth, it doesn't matter. Our end goal is heaven. While this can be a lovely message, it's hard to remember it this morning. I'm reminded of my dear friend Amy and her husband Mark, who lost his brother, age 26. How difficult to think about the blessing that he is in heaven, surrounded by God's glory when you are hurting so much.

It's even harder for me to be confronted with this again... because death at such a young age is so much more painful now that I can remember it. It reminds me of Amanda, and in fact it's such a hard time for me, thinking of this young man's death right before the benefit concert for the scholarship for the girls in Sudan set up in Amanda's honor. I know she'd love this concert and she'd love this project, but it's hard to think about how this happened. I remember too well that day, feeling completely stifled until my uncle asked me how I was, and then I started crying my eyes out. That whole week was dark and heavy. And now I think of another family passing through this terribly difficult time. So sudden, Lord, so painful, Father. Please be with the Cook family right now... send Your peace and comfort that You sent to my family. May they know that their suffering will pass... maybe not completely, but it will become different.

"Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,and so dishonor the name of my God. -Proverbs 30:7-9

People who live for today and not for our eternal life in heaven, can't understand teachings in the Bible warning us about riches. The money itself is not what makes it hard to enter into the kingdom of God, but the self-reliance. And this verse points out that we shouldn't make ourselves completely poor, because then we might need to steal in order to survive. However, there is that balance. When we follow the world's instructions and get as much wealth and power and fame as we can, then we will be tempted to say, "Who is the Lord? I can do this on my own. Things are working just great for me, me, me, me, me." Marcos loved to call this 'belly button theology,' because you are looking at yourself... your own belly button. Instead we look out around us and up to our Father in heaven (who we can also see all around us). Father, help me to remember that whatever I do is for Your glory and being self-reliant is only a myth. I need You.

I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. -2 Corinthians 11:2-3

As Christians, we have already been presented to Christ, but I think there is truth to Paul's words here. We need to be careful that our minds aren't 'led astray.' I look at the situation in the world, and I can understand why some groups of Christians live so separately (Amish, old order Mennonites). It's extremely difficult to live in the world and not be affected by all of its leanings... prideful ambition, search for wealth, self-interest in general. But we are instructed that we need to 'seek first the kingdom of God.' No matter what else enters into our lives, no matter where we are, we need to remain sincere and pure in our devotion to you. Last night it was helpful to have Brad remind me that God can use me wherever I am as long as I open myself to be of use. After all, the end goal is heaven, and there I'll be able to serve my Father all day long.

No comments: