Monday, August 31, 2009

Love Letters

God is love. —1 John 4:8

This morning, the ODB talks about wartime love letters, quite fitting because I was recently looking back at some old emails that I had sent at the beginning of my relationship with Brad, along with some emails that he has written me. And I love to read and reread those words... they are so sweet, they always bring a smile to my face. If you've ever been far from someone you love, you know that it's difficult. And during the 3 months when I was far from Brad, I looked at those notes so often... because they encouraged me and reminded me of the love that we have.

Similarly, God has given us such great love that He has taken the time to inspire so many words of love... in the Bible. We must take time to read and reflect on these beautiful love letters every day.

With lovingkindness I have drawn you,
Proving that My love is true;
Do not neglect to read of that love,
Written in My Word for you. —Verway

How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity!
It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.
It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the LORD bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore. - Psalm 133:1-3

And God gives us His love in another form as well... He gives us our brothers and sisters to encourage and love us, to embody His love for us here on earth. I remember how important GCF (Graduate Christian Fellowship) was to me when I arrived here last year. When I had nothing and felt so alone, these people offered me friendship and encouragement and support and to read those beautiful love letters that God has written to us.

Another thing I appreciate about GCF and groups like it is that we do 'live together' in 'unity,' even while we have our slight different opinions or theological believes. This verse does not say that it is blessed when brothers are singleminded, but that they are together and united, working together for God's kingdom. I can't help but think that they other way might not even be quite so blessed... because it is not so challenging.

No comments: