Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Faith in God's Response, Love and Grace

Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. —John 14:13

While these verses are beautiful and comforting, I have to admit that sometimes they are also frustrating. There are so many people who I know who are or have been sick and hurting. They pray so much for healing, and yet it never happens. The only way I can understand this is that I do not know everything, as God knows everything. I know that God hears our prayers, but I also know that God knows how best to respond to each of our prayers. As a young girl I prayed and prayed for a boyfriend, but I was too young at the time and foolish... it would not have been good for me. So, God answered my prayer in time. Sometimes it just takes time. Lord, give me the faith to pray and ask You for what I need and the patience to wait for Your will to be done... all so that You may be glorified.

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest
is my lover among the young men.
I delight to sit in his shade,
and his fruit is sweet to my taste.

He has taken me to the banquet hall,
and his banner over me is love. -Song of Solomon 2:3-4

Song of Solomon is a very interesting book and one that most Christians try to ignore, exactly why I think it would make such an interesting study. Well, most interpretations liken it to an allegorical relationship between God and his people Israel (husband and wife). Here the 'wife' or beloved is proclaiming her love for the beauty of the apple tree... with sweet fruit and shade from the heat. The 'lover' is the provider. And not only that, he takes her to the banquet hall, invites her to this special dinner, introducing her to all who are there, announcing her in love (with the banner). The 'lover' values her with his love.

In a society where most men and women were married at a young age, this book could have had several important purposes. As it shows the beauty of a courtship relationship and the love that couples should show to one another, it shows how the Father's love for us is like this. It is a love that they would know firsthand, so they could relate to this. I have to admit that I couldn't relate to this book until more recently, to the beauty of this kind of love. And now to think of my love who cares for and values me and to think of my God as similar is a very very beautiful revelation to me. If this love that I now know is sooo beautiful and amazing, I must have faith that God's love is even more beautiful and amazing.

We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. -Galatians 2:15-16

In a symphonic piece, this would be called, "Paul's Theme." We are not justified by the law or following the order of things, but we are justified through faith. The outward symbols mean nothing. In Bible Study on Monday, it was very cool to compare outward symbols to a wedding band. Mike pointed out that some people wear wedding rings even if they have been divorced or perhaps if it's not theirs, they just want to wear it. So the symbol no longer means anything. On the other side of things, sometimes musicians or writers don't wear their rings because of their work. So, although that love is very real and meaningful, the outward symbol isn't there.

Lord, I pray that I may learn more to know that Your grace comes by faith... deepen the faith that I have in you... faith that You will answer my prayers, faith in Your indescribable love, faith in the grace that You give to me... in spite of my insufficiency. Teach me and help me to be more of what You want me to be, Lord. I want You to use me to glorify You, Father.

No comments: