Tuesday, September 8, 2009

From God to Us to Others

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. -2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Paul wrote this letter to a church who was facing great hardships because of their faith. While I don't feel I confront that often, sometimes the life of a devout Christian is hard. It means giving up more of your time, having different priorities, and for the scientific grad students- often being attacked because of their beliefs.

Reading this verse, I can't help but think of Brad, who was there for me and comforted me when I was so worried... in my time of hardship when I thought that I wouldn't be able to lead this bible study. I was wrongly doubted my Lord and Father who has made the earth. Yesterday on my hike I looked to the mountains and thought.... the mountains are so big, and God made them. If my Father can make these mountains, I know He can make me into a Bible study leader, and He will. But when I felt overcome, Brad was there to comfort me and read me scripture and pray with me. His ability to comfort came from the Lord, and now I only pray that I similarly may be able to comfort others... Lord, help me to comfort all those in need, with the comfort that You have shown to me in so many ways... through Your beauty, through Your word, through Your children.

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow"—when you now have it with you. -Proverbs 3:27-28

This reminds me of the church in Irvington that I visited. When we visited the homes last Christmas time, the people were so happy to see us, and they welcomed us so warmly. And they always met us with a smile, pleasant conversation, at least a prayer or a Bible reading, and some delicious homemade Mexican food. Their spirit of generosity impressed upon me exactly what this verse talks of. And I can't help but see in their generosity, a fruit of the spirit that the Lord has given them. They are generous, because God generously has poured His spirit of love upon all of them. And it is so easy to see in each of their faces... in the warmth that they showed, even to me, a stranger entering their home. Lord, I pray that I may be able to do such good... whenever it is in my power to act.


No comments: