Saturday, September 19, 2009

God Calls Us to Something New, Something Meaningful, Something Challenging

Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” —Luke 5:10

I don't know about you, but as a fisherman, when I heard this I would've been afraid. Catching fish is all fine and dandy, but catching man? What was this man talking about? How could I not be afraid? That's a frightening thought! I mean, where would I even get the bait? The nets? And what do I do with them when caught? Certainly not grill them over a fire!

The problem is that we read these verses as we've read them for many many years, and we don't realize how it must've been in the moment when people weren't familiar with the 'Christian rhetoric.' Fishers of men... this was the coining of the phrase. It hadn't been used before. And Simon must've been astounded by this new something that God was asking us to do.

Just yesterday on my run I was thinking about The Irresistible Revolution, which is such a wonderful book. And I got to thinking about the way we do church when I passed a sanctuary with a sign out front that said, "Come join us." We expect the fish to come to us instead of going to the fish. It's like standing on the seashore and beckoning, "Here, fishy, fishy..." God dares us to be different... to go and catch men... and active verb denoting something that we are doing. Lord, doing this something different is sometimes scary, but help me to be faithful in actively carrying out your plan.

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun. -Ecclesiastes 2:11

This morning I was talking to V on our beautiful morning run, and we talked about our futures. It is hard for both of us to envision where we could end up and what we would do. There are so many options which is a beautiful thing, but it's so hard to know which way to turn. And then sometimes I step back and consider that perhaps the most meaningful thing I could do would be to just go where I'm needed and do something good. I have loved the moments that I have been able to work to help people. And it may be idealistic of me, but I've always had such a strong desire to really make a difference in the world (even if just on an individual level). I want to in some way work for, as we say in Brethren circles, "the glory of God and my neighbor's good." Lord, I know You call us all into meaningful ministry... wherever we may be. I pray that You would show me where You want me... where You can use me best, Father.

Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. -2 Corinthians 11:23-30

Oh, Paul... there he goes 'boasting' about his sufferings again. Interesting because he boasting sometimes sounds a bit like complaining. Maybe I should try that one sometime. ("No, I'm not complaining. I'm just boasting about my weakness.") Well, honestly I don't blame the guy. He has an awful lot to "boast" about. No home, danger, persecuted, hungry, beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked. But he still remains a servant of Christ. And I have to tell you that his openness has been a comfort for me.

Whether it's cultural or just natural, we tend to hide our sufferings and challenges... to gloss over it with a "It's going ok," or "Everything's fine." Paul on the other hand says... no it hasn't been fine. Listen to all the challenges I've faced. When I was in Brazil and feeling so alone and foreign and far from home at times... it helped to know that Paul was without a home. When I was in Boston earning $60/month and working to clean and cook for a housefull of people, it helped to know that Paul had been underappreciated. And there are other times, but it has always helped to know the truth that yes... there are challenges to face wherever God calls us. But, it is still a beautiful and meaningful task... and our life's work to follow His call and allow Him to work through our weakness and suffering.

No comments: