Saturday, September 12, 2009

Humility in Ourselves and Pride in HIm

Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." -Matthew 20:24-28

This morning I had a beautiful run with a new friend, Veronika. She's from Hungary and just the sweetest girl ever. To me, she seems to perfectly demonstrate the verse on humility. While she was recruited to come to the U.S. to run, she jogged slowly with me this morning, assuring me that it was a fine pace. And while she studied at the prestigious Harvard, she didn't even mention it until I specifically asked. To every remarkable accomplishment, she meekly shook her head and humbly explained how it was 'no big deal.' When others would walk around with their head held high, talking about their various medals and starting long stories with, "When I was studying at Harvard..." she refuses to fall victim to this prideful tendency. Lord she is yours, because I can see Your humility in her beautiful humble spirit. May she feel Your spirit around her... comfort her and protect her and guide her as she searches for her way.

Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred. -Proverbs 15:17

I have had many a beautiful simple meal of broth or boiled plantains or simply a bowl of rice in the many countries where I have traveled. And this week I have had several more lovely simple meals. Not in fancy 5 star restaurants but the simple coming together of these sisters of mine in Christ. On Thursday, the girls provided a space to talk about our weeks and even challenged me to think about what I want to "end up doing." And for some reason, it hit me in that moment that what I want more than anything is to be serving the Lord, working for the church in some way... whether that is my profession or something I do additionally, I don't know. But I've felt the most joy in my life when that has been what has happened. I must believe that God worked through this simply meal and the love of my sisters to speak to me.

And getting together with Ke on Friday was such a nice time to talk about our loves and our lives and where God has come into our lives and somehow changed our plans. I really hope that we may continue to have these simple meals together in order to consider You, Lord. Such a seemingly simple gift, Lord. But the gift of wonderful Christian friends who encourage me in my walk is a gift without measure.

Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. -2 Corinthians 5:11-12

While the Bible speaks against pride in most instances, here we have an example of when we should take pride. We should take pride in what is in the heart. But this does not mean we should take pride in our moral or emotional superiority. As Christians, what is in our hearts is the love of Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Jesus fills our hearts with the joy that comes from His forgiving and freeing grace. So we are proud of what Jesus has given to us... and we are eager to share with everyone that which is so special and unique and offered to everyone... which is so so much more important than what we can see on the outside. Lord, I am filled with pride in the amazing power that You have to transform every bit of our lives... may that motivate me to always speak of You.

No comments: