Friday, December 5, 2008

"What's This? What's This? There's Magic in the Air..."

Awesome Promises
Hosea 1:1-2:23

"I will say, 'You are my people' to those I had called 'not my people.' And they will say to me, 'You are my God.'" (Hosea 2:23)

Some may recognize this song from The Nightmare Before Christmas (a personal favorite). When Jack (the Pumpkin King) enters Christmastown for the first time, he is completely amazed and fascinated by all of the wonderful things he sees. So it should be the Bible. These stories are awesome! Take Hosea, the Lord is promising a time when the people of Judah and Israel will be joined together... and all will be called God's people. Unbelievable! I am God's! I wouldn't rather belong to anyone else. The Lord is my God! This is indeed worthy of singing about... may I show Jack's same passion and spirit to everyone... shouting and singing about God's awesome promises.

Awesome Actions
Psalm 138:4-5

"They will sing about what the Lord has done, because the Lord's glory is great." (Psalm 138:5)

Not only are God's promises great, but the Lord carries them over into action. I have seen it in my own life, heard it in others' lives, and I have read it in the Bible. God is faithful and carries through with his promises. And I would not be here today if it were not for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I would be an aweful state so very painful to think about. Lord, thank you for saving me... through your awesome power and strength.

Awesome Love
1 John 3:1-24

"This is how we know what real love is: Jesus gave his life for us. So we should give our lives for our brothers and sisters." (1 John 3:16)

Talk about the epitomy of love. I think a very real problem in our society/culture today is that we have no clue what "love" means (myself included). We hear a million cliches in songs and movies. Nowadays, this word can mean anything from "I love coffee!" to "Peace, love and rock and roll" to "I love you, Grandma" to "Love you, sweetheart." What does it mean? And in some languages the word love has several different forms- querer v. amar, for example.

But, for my definition I look to the Bible. While the Corinthians passage spells out the characteristics of love, Jesus life and giving of his life is the true example of this love... how it is truly lived out. I constantly question... will I ever be able to love enough, Lord? The way you want me to love? A love like that is perfection, and I can only pray that the Lord teach me more about how to live out His example of amazing, awesome love.

No comments: