Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's Personal, It's Not Business

~The famous line from The Godfather goes, "It's not personal, it's business." But, I tend to agree with Kathleen Kelly who wonders about the validity of this statement. "If it's not personal, what is it? Shouldn't it be personal? Doesn't it always start out being personal?" Well, as opposed to so many religions in the world today, Christianity is personal... a personal God, a personal Savior, and a personal community of believers to support us in our journey.

Overgrown Treasures
Hosea 9:1-10:15

"...Weeds will grow over their silver treasures, and thorns will drive them out of their tents." (Hosea 9:6)

Once again, these chapters deal with Israel's punishment, Israel has made its treasure "the pay of prostitutes," turning away from God. While they spend their lives sinning, they store up treasures of silver (wide screen tvs, computers, MP3s, Wii's). And poor things... they don't even recognize that weeds will grow over them (they will break, need to be repaired, go out of style, become incompatible with ever-newer technology). It's important to remember at this time of year, when the motto seems to be "buy, buy, buy" that our greatest treasure is already bought and paid for with Jesus' blood... it's only waiting to be picked up with the receipt of our faith.

God's Treasures
Psalm 139:13-16

"You made my whole being; you formed me in my mother's body. I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way. What you have done is wonderful. I know this very well. You saw my bones being formed as I took shape in my mother's body. When I was put together there, you saw my body as it was formed. All the days planned for me were written in your book before I was one day old." (Psalm 139:13-16)

If this isn't personal, I don't know what it? God knows me... and not only that... God has known me since even before I was born. Wonderful mothers that I know talk about the bond they feel with their children. I remember my cousin Marisa telling me with a smile and sparkle in her eye, "I've never loved anything so fast." The moment her eyes met her adorable little girl, she instantly loved her... probably even before that point. Well, just think of how much our God must love us all... God saw us even before the sonnogram could pick it up!!!

Family Treasures
3 John 1-15

"I have many things I want to write you, but I do not want to use pen and ink. I hope to see you soon and talk face to face. Peace to you. The friends here greet you. Please greet each friend there by name." (3 John 13-15)

The interactions of the early church, as described here are also extremely personal... something that we've sadly forgotten. There are churches right down the street from one another, but how many of those Christians greet one another, talk with each other, and pass the peace before heading into their respective buildings. I'm always encouraged by ecumenical services and even services within denominations that bring together Christ's children "face to face" so that we may encourage each other and "greet each other by name."

I've been lucky to experience many such occasions... most recently in GCF (Graduate Christian Fellowship), also when I went to Boston for the VEV (Volunteers Exploring Vocation) Conference, and the one that is most permanently engraved in my heart is the old tradition in Royersford for many churches to get together and celebrate love feast and communion. Some in plain dress, some with prayer coverings, but Christians just the same. We got together once a year, and I loved singing and praying and fellowshipping... a day of personal connections with God, Jesus, and brothers and sisters.

No comments: