Monday, December 15, 2008

Cry

For Sadness
Amos 6:1-7:17

"How terrible it will be for those who have an easy life in Jerusalem, for those who feel safe living on Mount Samaria. You think you are the important people of the best nation in the world; the Israelites come to you for help." (Amos 6:1)

Terrible. It must be terrible indeed, to have absolutely everything and then lose it all. Here God is lamenting that Israel will be destroyed, and these people who have "an easy life" and "feel safe" will lose it all. My brother is now in the DR, where he's adjusting to having running water and electricity at odd hours during the day and seeing so many people living in impoverished conditions. Yet, we can learn so much from these people- so little of some things, but so much faith. Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking that our money or opportunities make us important, but I pray the Lord wakes us up... just like the Israelites. My brothers and sisters are always more important that I am.

For Mercy and Help
Psalm 142:1-7

"I cry out to the Lord; I pray to the Lord for mercy. I pour out my problems to him; I tell him my troubles. When I am afraid, you, Lord, know the way out." (Psalm 142:1-2)

What a blessing to call out to a Lord who listens to my cry. For mercy and help and comfort and patience and so many things... I have been crying out to the Lord so often lately. And I feel that this has made all the difference in my life as of late. I cry out recognizing that on my own I can't, but through God, I receive grace and unconditional love and direction and comfort. Lord, I will continue to cry to You. I need You, Lord.

For Wisdom
Revelation 5:1-14

"But there was no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth who could open the scroll or look inside it. I cried bitterly because there was no one who was worthy to open the scroll and look inside. But one of the elders said to me, "Do not cry! The Lion from the tribe of Judah, David's descendant, has won the victory so that he is able to open the scroll and its seven seals." (Revelation 5:3-5)

There is something about Revelation that is beautiful to me... poetic in a sense. I can see the images and feel the sentiments. I wonder what secrets are within the scroll that John doesn't tell us, even if he knows. But, one thing I do know- I can feel the urgency to read the message... since John cries bitterly. And we are told, "Do not cry!" Jesus, the Lion and the Messiah has won and can open the scroll for us. When we can't, Jesus can. Thank you for freeing me from these scared and painful tears. I can rest in You power, Lord.

No comments: