Sunday, December 21, 2008

Our Daily Bread

We Offer
Micah 6:1-7:20

"The Lord has told you, human, what is good; he has told you what he wants from you: to do what is right to other people, love being kind to others, and live humbly, obeying your God." (Micah 6:8)

One of my all time favorite verses, this portion of Micah answers the question- what should we offer to God? A tough question that we may ponder at this time of gift-giving. If Jesus were on our Christmas list, what would you buy for the one who gave his life for you???? Talk about buying for that 'person who has everything'! But we have an excellent answer- live out your love and appreciation through service, kindness, humility, and obedience. In addition to the little tokens I've bought this Christmas, I extend a more meaningful gift that comes without packaging- to show my love and appreciation to my family in this way- extending service, kindness, humility and obedience to them... in whatever way I can.

God Provides
Psalm 145:8-16

"All living things look to you for food, and you give it to them at the right time. You open your hand, and you satisfy all living things." (Psalm 145:15-16)

While we try to give appreciation to God, the Lord is the one that provides the most meaningful gifts... among those is 'help in times of struggle.' We are right to look to God for food- to stand at the door and knock. For God is merciful and kind and good, and God will satisfy our spiritual hunger. I love the word 'satisfy'. In Spanish, instead of saying that you are "full" at the end of a meal, you state that you are satisfied... you are content, you've had enough. God's daily bread, God's word certainly satisfies my hungry soul.

The World Takes
Proverbs 30:15a

"Greed has two daughters named 'Give' and 'Give.'" (Proverbs 30:15a)

My prayer this holiday season is that we may all focus on our gifts to one another and our Lord as mentioned in Micah and the wonderful presents given to us by God instead of the greed and materialism that pop culture seems to condone this time of year.

This verse is interesting as I see two meanings to it. First, I wonder whether 'Greed's' daughters may be left lacking and begging for their needs to be met. All of the truly wonderful loving fathers I have met are certainly anything but greedy. They've learned to put their families needs before their own. A greedy father? Seems a contradiction of terms. In fact, I wonder whether that is a reason we call our Lord "Abba, Father".

On the other hand, perhaps it refers to the fact that children (excepting the exceptional cases) tend to reflect the values parents instill in them at an early age. Perhaps Greed has taught his children 'greed' instead of contentment and satisfaction and giving. Perhaps they are like Baruka (from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) who boldly sings, "I want the world! I want the whole world! Give it to me... NOW!" I'm very glad that my family, my church family, my extended family, etc have all taught me the value of contentment along with service, kindness, humility and obedience... which I can offer to my Lord who provides everything for me.

No comments: