Thursday, December 4, 2008

Identity Crisis: Not Me, But Christ in Me

God's Purity
Daniel 11:2-12:13

"Many will be made clean, pure, and spotless, but the wicked will continue to be wicked." (Daniel 12:10)

I suppose everyone somewhere along the way has that common school project to research the meaning of your name. Along the way, I found that "Katherine" (and other versions thereof) means "pure one." Defined as "free from moral fault and guilt" (Merriam-Webster), Katie turns out to be quite an admirable name, one that I wish I could live up to. But the truth is that I don't. Those times that I do portray some aspect of purity, it is really not me- it is just Christ in me. As rightly told to Daniel, we are only "made clean, pure, spotless" (10). It is not of my own accord but Jesus' precious gift that cleanses me from my moral fault and guilt.

God's Strength
Psalm 138:1-3

"On the day I called to you, you answered me. You made me strong and brave." (Psalm 138:3)

Lifting my little 5 lbs. weights in the gym beside body-building guys doing resistance bench pressed with 100+ lbs., no one would mistake me for "strong." But physical strength isn't the full extent of my weakness. Though I love people, but I can be extremely timid before I get to know someone well.

In grade school, my teachers always expressed their concern to my parents that I was "painstakingly shy" and never talked. It is surprising then, that God would call me to talk in front of the church, lead Bible study groups, teach in front of a room full of students, go live in foreign countries, translate in front of 6000 people at conference, etc. To me, God is making it undeniably clear. I could not do these things of my own accord, but it is God's strength in me.

God's Teaching
1 John 2:1-29

"I write to you, young people, because you are strong; the teaching of God lives in you..." (1 John 2:14)

My cousin Ben is on my heart today as he celebrates one more year of life, and I can't help but think of him as I reflect on this verse. I am 5 years older than him, so I can so vividly remember when he was born. I created my own special 5-year-old hand-made card for my dad to take to the hospital. This was the first time a baby in the family was markedly younger than me.

Well, as Ben grew, roles reversed and in Children's Story, Seekers (weekday kid's program), and Sunday School, I began to learn so much from Ben's amazing insight into the scriptures... even at a very young age. I remember several grown-ups wondering whether he would become a pastor or perhaps a priest someday. Either way, I know that he's ministered to many... most definitely to me, and the teaching of God certainly lives in my little (although now not quite so little) cousin.

No comments: