Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Somebody Bigger than You and I"

~I love this song, especially the version from The Preacher's Wife.~

God's Love is Bigger
Hosea 3:1-4:19

"The Lord said to me again, 'God, show your love to a woman loved by someone else, who has been unfaithful to you. In the same way the Lord loves the people of Israel, even though they worship other gods and love to eat the raisin cakes.'" (Hosea 3:1)

Now, I'm not quite so concerned about Hosea's unfortunate lot in marrying this woman. The interesting part to me is how the Lord compares this woman to Israel. The people of Israel are unfaithful, worshiping other gods. It's like the cheating which is all-too-common in today's relationships. And the stunner... God loves Israel anyway! Now, what boyfriend or girlfriend would say... "I know you're a player, but still I love you?" I certainly wouldn't... even more controversial is if when married (as in Jesus and the church... his bride) we would still honor our commitment to love our cheating partner. I don't know who has it in them to really truly love under those circumstances... but God does. I stumble, I fall, I'm unfaithful at times... but God loves me anyhow.

God's Power is Bigger
Psalms 138:6-8

"Though the Lord is supreme, he takes care of those who are humble, but he stays away from the proud." (Psalm 138:6-7)

God's protection is difficult to deal with sometimes. Why some and not others? Why do some battle illness, sudden death, depression? I am certainly thankful that I am not God that I would need to make those decisions nor understand all that God decides to do or not do. But about God's power I have no doubts. As apparent in this verse, God takes care of the humble... which makes a lot of sense to me. Why take care of the proud? They wouldn't recognize it as God anyways... the proud would simply smile very pleased with themselves and say "Look at what a great job I did saving myself."

God's Spirit is Bigger

"My dear children, you belong to God and have defeated them; because God's Spirit, who is in you, is greater than the devil, who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

When I look around at the state the world is in, I cannot help but see the devil in the world: fear, prejudice, injustice, inequity, violence. And for that reason it is so difficult to live "in the world and not of the world," but this verse holds an important key. God's Spirit is in us, and God is bigger and greater than anything Satan can throw at us. We certainly are "more than conquerors" with God on our side.

No comments: