Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Oh Lord, It's Hard to Be Humble...

~In high school, I clearly remember a trio who sang a song that went, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble... when you're perfect in every way." A funny song but sometimes painfully true. While we should not walk around with our faces to the ground, it is important to lift our heads with the knowledge that it is God's strength, salvation and wisdom that makes our lives the way they are.

Strength Comes from God
Zechariah 10:1-12:9

"I will strengthen the people of Judah and save the people of Joseph. I will bring them back, because I care about them. It will be as though I had never left them, because I am the Lord their God, and I will answer them." (Zechariah 10:6)

Like the rainbow after the storm, the Lord promises to be there for us... to strengthen us. Being in the Houston area and seeing some of the effects of the hurricane yesterday in the Galveston area has given me a whole new appreciation for this analogy. Both literal and figurative storms are so destructive, yet sometimes I feel I need them. Sometimes God needs to knock me off my feet for me to recognize that it is God's strength and not my own that takes me through each day and leads me through my life.


Salvation Comes from God
Psalm 149:1-5

"The Lord is pleased with his people; he saves the humble." (Psalm 149:4)

In our culture and society, we tend to think... I'm ok, everything's alright. And while that sort of thinking is grand... and quite in line with my often too optimistic spin on things... we need also to recognize that we ourselves are not as perfect as Jesus calls us to be. For this, we need a Savior. We all need to be saved from something- sins great or small including addictions, habits, sins of omission, etc. Humbly recognizing the fact that we are not enough on our own pleased God and allows us to really appreciate God's saving grace.


Wisdom Comes from God
Proverbs 30:32-33

"If you have been foolish and proud, or if you have planned evil, shut your mouth." (Proverbs 32)

There is a high school here that has proudly posted on its sign "The Best High School in Texas." And while the school seems quite beautiful, I'm wary of this bold announcement. That sets up some pretty high standards. Too many times I end up hastily making bold statements that I later regret. I'd rather be like my namesake Kate Rogers, who always thought very carefully and chose the sweetest most well-planned and humble words. I'm sure that such wisdom came from her humility and surrender to follow Jesus not just in everything she did but also in everything that she said.

No comments: