Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Waiting for the World to Change

A Changed Time
Daniel 7:1-8:27

"But Gabriel said to me, 'Human being, understand that this vision is about the time of the end.'" (8:17)

The end times... something I often (dare I say- conveniently) forget about. A lot of times, I feel that we simply "get used to" things, "grow accustomed" to the way things are... that motivation to make a difference simply fades away for the comfort of the familiar everyday.

A Changed Home
Psalm 137:1-6

"By the rivers in Babylon we sat and cried when we remembered Jerusalem. On the poplar trees nearby we hung our harps. Those who captured us asked us to sing; our enemies wanted happy songs. They said, 'Sing us a song about Jerusalem.'" (Psalm 137:1-3)

Anyone who has been forced from their homeland can relate to the sadness in this passage. But, can you imagine? That's like going up to someone who's mourning and saying, "Hey, let's go samba." While in some cultures that may work (perhaps the Irish wake), I'm reminded of the hymn "Let Me Be Your Servant." A line goes "I will weep when you are weeping. When you laugh, I'll laugh with you." Being with someone in their presence but also in their present state of emotions is true Christian friendship.

A Changed Heaven & Earth
2 Peter 3:1-18

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.... So what kind of people should you be? You should live holy lives and serve God as you wait for and look forward to the coming of the day of God... God made a promise to us, and we are waiting for a new heaven and a new earth where goodness lives." (10-13)

While it can be unsettling to think about this unexpected thief that will come at literally God-knows-what hour, it is also wonderful! It's described here as a promise... this new kingdom where goodness lives. And in the state of the world to day, a place where goodness lives seems like such a beautiful improvement. On my bike ride this morning, I was just thinking about how crazy the world must think me... and it's comforting to know that this world is not my true home. Someday a new kingdom will come, a new kingdom where I will fit in.

No comments: