Monday, December 22, 2008

Destruction

Those Who Are Against God
Nahum 1:1-3:19

"The Lord will destroy anyone making plans against him. Trouble will not come a second time." (Nahum 1:9)

All of these verses today are quite unpleasant. "Making plans against [God]"... I wonder what that would entail exactly. What would it look like? And I myself wonder whether I do that more often than I'd like to admit. Though I try not make plans against God, sometimes I plan things just for me. We love to make plans and dream dreams... but it's so beautiful when God is at the center of all those plans and goals.

The Wicked
Psalm 145:17-21

"The Lord protects everyone who loves him, but he will destroy the wicked." (Psalm 145:20)

Again, it's all too easy to read this verse and say, "Thanks God. You'll destroy all those bad people... all the wicked... all my enemy." Well, things are not always such separate entities. I love to watch movies that question the motives of 'the bad guy.' Often perpetrators of all sorts of crimes have grown up in less than ideal situations- without a loving home, without a guiding presence, without education, without their basic needs. I pray that "the wicked" that the Lord will destroy are these types of situations, not the people.

The Earth and the Sea
Revelation 12:1-18

"But it will be terrible for the earth and the sea, because the devil has come down to you! He is filled with anger, because he knows he does not have much time." (Revelation 12:12)

The chapter states that some will be saved, those whose sins have been paid for by the blood of the lamb. The rest of the earth; however, will not be saved. This time of year, I am so thankful to remember the promise of a Savior who saves me from the devil in the end times. I will not face this destruction, Lord, because You have given me the victory.

No comments: