Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Here

Among Us
Hosea 11:1-12:14

"I am God and not a human; I am the Holy One, and I am among you." (Hosea 11:9)

To me, my 'work space' in the Computer Center is the quintessential example of how you can be around many people without being 'with' any of them. I spend anywhere from 5-10 hours there a day, and yet it's quite possible to go without saying a word to anyone besides a whispered "hi." Quite unnatural for me, and as you can imagine- it was quite a shock coming from Campo Limpo. Ay, saudades!

But, that's why this verse is so special... the word "among"-in or through the midst of, in company or association with, etc (Merriam-Webster). God is really around and within us, in our company. Not just here- but here with us and within us. And not only that- here's the kicker! God is God! Sure, it's nice to have human company, but that's somewhat expected in this world with population as it is. But, to have the Holy One choose to come in our midst! That's pretty awesome!

All Day
Psalm 139:17-24

"God, your thoughts are precious to me. They are so many! If I could count them, they would be more than all the grains of sand. When I wake up, I am still with you." (Psalm 139:17-18)

Perhaps this verse is especially meaningful to me, because I love mornings. I never minded them horribly, but I've grown to appreciate them more over the years... the gift of a fresh new day! And I'm off for a run- a special time for me to greet the new day and contemplate this new loving gift of my God. People often wonder how I can go on these extremely long 15-20 mile runs... "Doesn't it get boring?" is the question I always hear. Well, sometimes it does get... tiring, but boring no. In the stillness and the silence, I reflect on so many things, pray my way through it, and just enjoy reveling in God's presence... something I forget to appreciate all too often.

Before His Glory
Jude 1-25 (New book!)

"God is strong and can help you not to fall. He can bring you before his glory without any wrong in you and can give you great joy." (Jude 24)

This semester I have seen more than ever the power of this great joy that God can give me through his glory. And this amazing joy and peace comes from God. I know I talk a lot about priorities, but it's exciting. I think I'm finally learning. If I start my day with God, everything else seems to fall into place more easily. All throughout my schooling, anything below a 95% was to be feared and avoided at all costs. Now, I can see a little more clearly. School work is important yes, but it's not "the be all and end all." An interesting phrase, with striking similarity to "the alpha and omega," "the beginning and the end." God is life, the rest is just details. When we really recognize that we can be set before God's glory, that God is among us at every moment, it all just seems so natural- and fills me with such great joy.

No comments: