Friday, December 12, 2008

What's In a Name?

The One and Only
Joel 1:1-3:21

"You will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has done miracles for you. My people will never again be shamed. Then you will know that I am among the people of Israel, that I am the Lord your God, and there is no other God." (Joel 2:26-27)

While I am appreciative of my name and my namesake, I have to admit that there are no shortages of "Katies"... or derivations of the various forms of Katherine. In school, a teacher would call on "Katie" to answer, and if I didn't know the answer I could wait for one of the other 3 or 4 to answer. ;o)

But, God is God... and there is no other God. There's no one else that can perform miracles or save us or grant us this miraculous peace and deep abundant joy. I know that this comes from the Lord, and I praise your name O God, the only one capable of filling my life with such wholeness (plenitud).

Worthy of Praise
Psalm 140:6-13

"I know the Lord will get justice for the poor and will defend the needy in court. Good people will praise his name; honest people will live in his presence." (Psalm 140:12-13)

There are some people who try to pick out the most outlandish and original names possible. (I'm reminded of the "Seinfeld" episode where George adamantly defends his name- Seven.) I don't see this as good or bad, merely inconsequential. A name is a name. It's what's behind the name that is praiseworthy or not.

And our God in all of His justice and goodness is certainly worthy of our praise, all day long. Lord, I pray that I may remember to praise your glorious name, for your glorious presence every day... all day!

A New Name
Revelations 2:1-29

"I will also give to each one who wins the victory a white stone with a new name written on it." (Revelation 2:17)

A new name! My very own! Wow, that's a special prize... especially speaking as someone who has "won" several such names: "Katimaria," "Kate" (kaych), "Katie O", "Hermanita," and the long-standing "Honey Bunny" from a storybook my dad always read to me. Luis Fernando Verissimo has a short story in which he argues that having a nickname is actually a vital part of building your relationship. I wouldn't go so far, but it is special.

But in this context, it's even more special. In fact, it's necessary. Our journey God-willing will change us, and we will need a fresh new name. Lord, I thank You for that day when You, my loving father, will whisper my name!

No comments: