Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Love Song for a Savior

Many popular Christmas tunes have linked love to this joyous season with lyrics such as "All I Want for Christmas is You." When I think about it, it's not so entirely off base. God's gift of His son, born to die for us in a manger so very long ago... that's the ultimate gift of love. And many verses have compared Jesus to the groom and his church to the bride. Where there is a wedding, there is in most cases a lovely love story. Even above and beyond Jesus' saving grace, He shows His abounding love for us with: a sonnet, a name, and a love!

A Sonnet
Zephaniah 1:1-3:20

"He will rejoice over you. You will rest in his love; he will sing and be joyful about you." (Zephaniah 3:17)

The movie "Moulin Rouge" contains one song that is a medley of just a few of the millions of love songs that exist... and this is for good reason. When you feel an emotion, a beautiful emotion so powerful as love, you feel moved to express it in some way. To sing and rejoice! If you've ever had anyone dedicate a song to you, sing a song to you, dance a song with you... you know how wonderfully special and unbelievably loved you feel in that moment. So loved in fact that you are calm and content and able to rest in that moment. This is the kind of love that Jesus offers us. In return, I can only hope to offer some of this same love... singing songs and rejoicing about the Savior I have who treasures each of us.

A Name
Psalm 147:1-6

"He counts the stars and names each one." (Psalm 147:4)

This morning I went to a lovely breakfast at the home of some very dear family friends- Jane and Greg, with their daughters Emma and Sara. Having worked at their family's bakery for over 9 years and growing to love and learn so much from them, they feel more like family than friends. But, one thing I've always loved is to watch the beautiful loving relationship between Jane and Greg over the years. I remember seeing Jane's face light up with the brightest smile when talking about Greg before we'd met him. But, the best part is that it still happens today... 8 years after their wedding day! Just last summer, I smiled every time I heard Jane call to "sweetheart" and Greg respond to his "dear."

I like to think that Jesus has such a sweet relationship with us. If He names each star, He must give us loving names too. What a beautiful love... where Jesus names me as His own.

A Love
Proverbs 30:18-19

"There are three things that are too hard for me, really four I do not understand: the way an eagle flies in the sky, the way a snake slides over a rock, the way a ship sails on the sea, and the way a man and a woman fall in love." (Proverbs 30:18-19)

I love being around my family at Christmastime. My family is special, because it's proven to me that love can work. In a disheartening society that would prove otherwise, divorce has yet to touch my family. For me, it's as exciting to see the loving interactions between my aunts and uncles, my mother and father as it is to see my cousins' growing families and plan for weddings that will soon take place!

This Proverb seems to be something I myself would exclaim. It's so hard to understand- the way a man and a woman fall in love. It's so hard to understand but for me, so beautiful to imagine... to imagine that God may yet guide me through a love as beautiful as those I have seen in my family. A love as beautiful as the love Jesus offers us, His church, His bride.

No comments: