Wednesday, January 21, 2009

With God's Spirit

Success
Genesis 41:1-42:38

"And the king asked them, 'Can we find a better man than Joseph to take this job? God's spirit is truly in him!' So the king said to Joseph, 'God has shown you all this. There is no one as wise and understanding as you are, so I will put you in charge of my palace. All the people will obey your orders, and only I will be greater than you.'" (Genesis 41:38-40)

That Joseph... he continues with his success. His ability to interpret the king's dreams causes the king to put him in charge of the palace. A familiar passage, and though I don't have the ability to interpret dreams, I pray that I may use my talents/gifts/abilities to be pleasing to You, God. This year I really would like to find a way to serve you in the church... please show me where there is a need and where You would have me take part in that. Even moreso, in everything I do, I pray that people may see my life and say, "God's spirit is truly in her!" Teach me to live that kind of life, Lord, as I seek to follow You more closely.

Protection
Psalm 10:12-18

"Lord, you have heard what the poor people want. Do what they ask, and listen to them. Protect the orphans and put an end to suffering so they will no longer be afraid of evil people." (Psalm 10:17-18)

Lord, looking around at the many people who are hurting in the world makes my heart hurt. I know that You love us all and protect us, and please let me show Your kindness and mercy and compassion to all those in need- the poor, the orphans, the lost, the lonely. Teach me how to share Your love with them and to share all that I have, all that You have given me.

Healing
Matthew 14:1-21

"When he arrived, he saw a great crowd waiting. He felt sorry for them and healed those who were sick." (Matthew 14:14)

As with so many verses, this story portrays Jesus' compassion for those who are hurting. He healed them, and not only that... evening came and Jesus wasn't ready to quit. The disciples tried to encourage him to call it a day and let the people go home and get their own food. Jesus went on to demonstrate that that was unnecessary. Lord, I believe in your healing power and pray it may be felt by those who need you right now: Mr. Shabrin, Kara, Andrew's father, and so many many others who are hurting.

No comments: