Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mi Pensamiento Eres Tu, Senor...

Thoughts Affect Others
Genesis 49:1-50:26

"Then Joseph said to them, 'Don't be afraid. Can I do what only God can do? You meant to hurt me, but God turned your evil into good to save the lives of many people, which is being done. So don't be afraid. I will take care of you and your children.' So Joseph comforted his brothers and spoke kind words to them." (Genesis 50:19-21)

When Jacob died, Joseph's brothers were afraid that Joseph would turn against him- sounds like the saying, "When the cats away, the mice will play." But once again Joseph shows us what he's made of, turning our attention to God. By thinking and meditating constantly on God's will and how even bad circumstances have led us to where I am today, I could not imagine holding a grudge. Lord, you have blessed me in so many ways. Today I especially thank you for the gift of the sabbath, which I'm trying to observe this year. The elementary Sunday School class actually talked about that today. Today I dedicate this day to praising you, Lord, meditating on your word. Teach me to reflect these thoughts in every word that I say to others.

Thoughts Run Your Life
Proverbs 4:20-24

"Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life. Don't use your mouth to tell lies; don't ever say things that are not true." (Proverbs 4:23-24)

Part of the adult Sunday School class actually focused on 'meditation' with the beautiful passage Psalm 119:5, "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways." And we sang the beautiful chorus, "Mi Pensamiento Eres Tu, Senor," "You are My Thought, Lord." The human mind is a powerful thing- what is in your mind in a very real way controls your life and how you act and what you do and what you say. People with addictions and other problems will recognize that irrational thoughts form pathways in the mind, and the more often those pathways are taken, the more often those thoughts are reinforced. Consequently, it becomes harder and harder to change those patterns of thought and how this causes them to react. This would be the negative example, but when we spend our time thinking and meditating on our Lord this can be turned into a beautiful situation. We form this common pathways so that when tough times come, we can still remember to turn our thoughts to God. Lord, take control of my thoughts and control of my life... as I aim to keep you constantly in my thoughts.

Thoughts of God- Not People
Matthew 16:1-28

"Then Jesus said to Peter, 'Go away from me, Satan! You are not helping me! You don't care about the things of God, but only about the things people think are important.'" (Matthew 16:23)

After Peter speaks out against what will happen to Jesus in the days to come, Jesus rebukes Satan. Jesus will soon be facing some tough days, but the fact that Jesus died upon the cross for our sins is all-important. Without this most precious gift and sacrifice, I would be lost and helpless. People didn't understand what was going on at that time. They only thought it important for Jesus to live with them. Only later would they understand the importance of the Jesus' death... not only His life. People like to proclaim with certainty that they know what is important. They know why it is important and what purpose it serves, but people (while Christians can be great sources of encouragement and learning) are often just plain wrong... or let's say... human. The things of God are so perfect and wonderful... a greater thought doesn't exist in the world but thoughts about our Lord.

No comments: