Monday, January 26, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now?

God Hears the Egyptians
Exodus 1:1-2:25

"After a long time, the king of Egypt died. The people of Israel groaned, because they were forced to work very hard. When they cried for help, God heard them. God heard their cries, and he remembered the agreement he had made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He saw the troubles of the people of Israel, and he was concerned about them." (Exodus 2:23-25)

They cried for help, and God heard them... what an amazing and beautiful and important verse. It's also something that I've experienced in my life. I am convinced that there is power in prayer, in calling out to God in so many different ways. On Friday, Andrew gave us a glimpse into John Foster's book on prayer with 21 different kinds of prayer, which says to me that there is always an appropriate way for me to pray. No matter the circumstance, no matter the hour- there is a way to enter into communion with God through prayer. God hears our prayers and even more beautiful is the fact that He is concerned with our prayers. Our Heavenly Father, Your love is so amazing... You allow me to call out to You, You hear me and You concern Yourself with me.

Hear God's Will
Psalm 15:1-15

"Lord, who may enter your Holy Tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? Only those who are innocent and who do what is right. Such people speak the truth from their hearts and do not tell lies about others. They do no wrong to their neighbors and do not gossip. They do not respect hateful people but honor those who honor the Lord. They keep their promises to their neighbors, even when it hurts. They do not change interest on money they lend and do not take money to hurt innocent people. Whoever does all these things will never be destroyed." (Psalm 15:1-5)

We also need to be listening carefully for God's direction, and as we talked about yesterday in Sunday School, that direction oftentimes comes from God's Word... the Bible. Psalm lists many instructions for how we should live in order to live with God one day. I especially like the way David notes, "Keeping promises (even when it hurts)." It does hurt sometime... all of these instructions actually. It's not always easy to tell the truth or to not join in the gossip in the work space or to do what is right in general. But, Lord, help me to listen carefully and heed Your will, not my own every day... even when it's not easy... I long to follow You.

The Mountain Hears
Matthew 17:1-27

"Jesus answered, 'Because your faith is too small. I tell you the truth, if your faith is as big as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. All things will be possible for you. [This kind of spirit comes out only if you use prayer and fasting.]'" (Matthew 17:20-21)

A powerful reminder that all of creation, absolutely everything and everyone is under God's control and authority and ruling. Lord, Your power is unfathomable to me- able to do everything... from healing to providing to saving us from ourselves. And I know that we can do all things through Your great power... this mountain can move. (Of course, we are warned that this power comes from prayer and fasting... or when we are truly filled with the Holy Spirit. It does not come of our own humanly free will.) Tucson is a beautiful reminder of this lovely verse, as I look around at the lovely mountains surrounding the town each morning. My friend Kammy pointed this out to me, and reminded me that when I think something's too tough, I only need to look to the mountains and remember this verse. Lord, I pray to You to give me the power to do Your will here on earth. I believe in You and Your goodness and greatness and protection and long only to do Your will here on this earth. Please teach me how.

No comments: