Saturday, January 24, 2009

Taking Care of

Blessings
Genesis 47:1-48:22

"So Israel blessed them that day and said, 'When a blessing is given in Israel, they will say: 'May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh.'" (Genesis 48:20)

Many cultures have traditional blessings, and now I am particularly reminds of the verse from Genesis itself that our Young Adult Sunday School class closes with: "May the Lord watch between me and thee, while we are absent one from the other" (Genesis 31:49). I always found this particularly fitting for my transient life... as well as those of my age group and association in good ol' Green Tree COB. In fact I find myself thinking of them and whispering this prayer.

Yet my favorite memory of blessings comes from Marnatha Fellowship, the Hispanic congregation that I worshiped with in Lancaster COB. Daniel DeOleo started a rotating weekly bible study in the homes of members of the congregation. We gathered in different peoples homes to sing, read scripture, pray, fellowship together with lovely conversations and some refreshments, and before we left we prayed a special blessing upon the home and all those within it. There are so many beautiful things that happen in the Hispanic church that seem like they wouldn't be accepted by our mainstream "American" society... yet I wish everyone had a chance to experience these amazing gifts- the way these communities relate to God and each other. We may have been blessing the homes, but really they were blessing me... just as Jacob blessed Ephraim and Manasseh. And now... missing them this morning, I pray dear Maranatha family- "May the Lord watch between me and thee, while we are absent one from the other." (Genesis 39:41)

Me
Psalm 13:1-6

"I trust in your love. My heart is happy because you saved me. I sing to the Lord because he has taken care of me." (Psalm 13:5-6)

Trust is one of the most important aspects of any relationship, perhaps I put even more stock in it than most people, I'm not sure... but without trust, you will not open yourself to being vulnerable with someone. And without allowing yourself to be vulnerable, you will not be able to experience an intimate connection with anyone. My brother and I have an amazing trusting relationship in which we can say anything to one another- trusting that our unconditional agape/brethren love will not fail. We won't hurt one another or turn away from one another or judge one another's vulnerabilities... but accept and love and take care of one another. God's love is so much deeper... and I trust that God will take care of me... God will take care of my heart and not let me go, never turn away, never hurt me. When tough times may come, I can take it all- maybe not on my own, but with God... taking care of me. I sing... I sing to You, Lord, a song of praise for your amazing love that I trust so completely and the way You have always taken care of me.

All
Matthew 15:21-39

"Jesus answered, 'It is not right to take the children's bread and give it to the dogs.' The woman said, 'Yes, Lord, but even the dogs eat the crubs that fall from their masters' table.' Then Jesus answered, 'Woman, you have great faith! I will do what you asked.' And at tht moment the woman's daughter was healed." (Matthew 15:26-28)

Such a beautiful passage! I try to place myself back in the time when this text with the heading "Jesus Helps a Non-Jewish Woman" would've been truly shocking. In fact, it seems that we might need to change the sensational headline a bit to get an up-to-date glimpse of what it implies: "Christian Helps a Muslim," "Pacifist Helps a Soldier." I'm reminded of the time when I was in a Bible study at college (all always ecumenical), and my friend Erin who had two brothers overseas in active duty suggested making and sending care packages. I excitedly echoed the value and importance of the project... easily excitable as I often am. And I remember how shocked Erin was. She never thought that a crazy pacifist liberal would want to take care of her brothers who were soldiers. I explained that while I do not support the war and refuse to accept that war is a valid response to any conflict, it is precisely that which makes me care so very much for all of those (on both sides) who are in that terrible situation. My church had sent care packages to victims and soldiers several times, some of my relatives had been drafted and gone without a gun onto the battlefield to pick up the wounded, dead and dying. I see in this passage the message that God's love... while specifically sent to "the lost sheep, the people of Israel" is big enough for all of those who have faith in him. So our love should be big enough to care for all of those- past dividing lines of race, gender, class, religion, politics, age, etc.

The other important part of this passage which is hitting me this morning is the fact that this woman had faith. Jesus wasn't ready to heal her right away. However, she likened Jesus to the master and herself to a dog reaching for one of the precious crumbs fallen from the table. This humble statement demonstrated both her belief in Jesus' authority and power. He had the authority as a 'master' over her and also such amazing power that even a crumb would be enough. Sometimes I wonder if I recognize this enough... I am so small to You, God. I really am not worthy to taste even the crumbs from Your table, yet You in Your goodness offer me so many blessings that I do not deserve. I praise You this morning, Father... and I trust in Your blessings, Your unconditional love, and Your power and authority. Help me as I walk through this day, trying to be faithful to You- praying as I go.

No comments: