Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Personal Protector

Promise
Genesis 27:1-28:22

"I am with you and will protect you everywhere you go and will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." (Genesis 28:15)

As Abraham's son, Jacob already had this promise, but now the promise became personal. God spoke to Jacob in a dream. (How I wish I had those kind of dreams rather than these random ones- like last night when I dreamt about some divorce lawyer singing about a walk-in closet filled with shoes!) Anyways, whether it is through dreams, through other people, or through our life experiences, I believe that God is still speaking today. We have this whole book filled with extraordinary promises. And God is so faithful to all of His promises. Right now I am seeing so many of them fulfilled, among them the magnificence of a personal relationship with my Creator, Savior and Lord.

Protection
Psalm 7:10-17

God protects me like a shield; he saves those whose hearts are right." (Psalm 7:10)

This world can be a scary place, with all the pain and heartache and suffering that are a real part of so many peoples' lives. But this lovely Psalm assures me that God will seek to know my heart, and if my heart is 'right,' He will save and protect me... from those things that I cannot bear. Not too long ago, I nervously put my heart on the line, almost sure that I was setting myself up for heartbreak... but it was really too late at that point anyway. But what gave me the confidence was constantly reminding myself that God is in control, and yes it may hurt sometimes... but my happiness, my love, my value are all rooted in God's extraordinary unconditional love for me.

Provision
Matthew 10:1-15

"Don't carry any money with you- gold or silver or copper. Don't carry a bag or extra clothes or sandals or a walking stick. Workers should be given what they need." (Matthew 10:9-10)

As Jesus calls His disciples and instructs them on where to go and what to do, He also gives them a difficult instruction... especially in this day of 'be prepared for everything and anything.' They say you can tell a seasoned traveler by the amount of luggage they don't have. But, can you imagine traveling without any money or clothes or... books? An extraordinary instruction from Jesus which seems to suggest that they carry less stuff and carry more faith.

I believe Jesus calls each one of us to complete a special plan the Lord has for our lives... and though that is sometimes scary, and sometimes we may try to run from it (like Jonah), it is comforting to remember that "workers should be given what they need." No money? No clothes? It doesn't matter... just go and serve the Lord with all your heart, because Jesus can work through you... giving you all the spiritual and material gifts that you need.

No comments: