Thursday, January 29, 2009

Radical Discipleship

Obedience
Exodus 7:1-8:32

"Moses and Aaron did just as the Lord had commanded them." (Exodus 7:6)

Though I've heard, read and even watched movies of the story of the plagues before, this verse struck me this time. It's true. The Lord commanded them, and they did what they were commanded. That must not have been an easy job. Talk about the 'bearers of bad news.' Every time they went to see the Pharaoh, another plague. They must've met tons of groans and complaints as they made their way to the palace to speak to the king each time and cause more and more hardship for the people. That's a job few would sign up for... especially after being warned in advance that the Pharaoh would refuse to listen so many times before actually meeting their ends. But, Moses and Aaron obeyed God's voice. Lord, I pray that I may obey You so completely, so willingly. Show me how to obey Your will for my life in this day... another beautiful day that You have given to me.

Faithfulness
Proverbs 5:15-20

"Be faithful to your own wife.... Be happy with the wife you married when you were young. She gives you joy, as your fountain gives you water. She is as lovely and graceful as a deer. Let her love always make you happy; let her love always hold you captive." (Proverbs 5:15, 18-19)

Faithfulness- personally I feel like today's society is losing this value... or failing to attempt to actually live it out. People see it as 'admirable' but no longer a plausible reality. Faithfulness, stick-to-it-ive-ness, that 'no matter what.' Now it seems that people see problems and difficulties and things they dislike, and they run from it to another option that they falsely perceive as 'easier' or 'better'... an illusion because any/every situation including any human element is flawed. You see this in people who are constantly changing churches, instead of recognizing that they are a part of the church... and only as such can they work toward the betterment of that congregation in its goal of ministry.

Here the Proverb speaks specifically of marriage, and despite the saddening tendency toward divorce, I've seen so many examples of beautiful marriages in my family and friends... and pray for such a unity some day. Yet, I believe we can also extend the analogy to our faithfulness to our Lord. As Jesus talked of the church as His 'bride,' we commit ourselves to faithfully follow and give our lives in service to our Lord... recognizing every day the beauty of our 'bridegroom' who 'makes us so happy.' Lord, in tough times and wonderful times, I devote my life to You always... help me to be faithful... as You are so faithful.

Sacrifice
Matthew 19:1-30

"Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, then go and sell your possessions and give the money to the poor. If you do this, you will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow me.' But when the young man heard this, he left sorrowfully, because he was rich. Then Jesus said to his followers, 'I tell you the truth, it will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. Yes, I tell you that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the rich person to enter the kingdom of God.' When Jesus' followers heard this, they were very surprised and asked, 'Then who can be saved?' When Jesus' followers heard this, they were very surprised and asked, 'Then who can be saved?' Jesus looked at them and said, 'For people this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.'" (Matthew 19:21-26)

Ah... a beautiful passage... one of my favorites (which I know I'm always saying). But, it's also extremely challenging. If we read these words freshly... perhaps in a new language, in a different context, out loud... maybe we can really hear the powerful message. We are called to "be perfect, therefore, just as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48). Then, we are called to 'sell our possessions' and 'give our money to the poor.' Not only that, but to 'follow Jesus.'

Oh, dear... this is not easy. So, it's something that we like to gloss over or explain away. It's difficult in an age where I feel like I acrue more and more possessions almost daily to recognize that these possessions are making it more difficult for me to enter the kingdom of God. In essence, each purchase should be made in careful consideration of whether something is necessary, how it affects your relationship with God and others. Giving our money to the poor... important not just for the poor but for ourselves. Simplicity... for all its challenges can be such a beautiful thing... so freeing, allowing our spirits to concentrate on those better gifts which God has given to us, opening us to follow God's lead... without a connection to the here and now, to this or that. I desire to follow You, oh God. I pray Your wisdom as You teach me to live... as Your faithful and obedient disciple... without regard for material possession or wealth but only hoping to follow Your will for my life. I know that alone I cannot live in this impossibly radical way, but "For God, all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).

No comments: