Friday, January 30, 2009

Fairest Lord Jesus

Nothing to Offer
Psalm 17:6-15

"I call to you, God, and you answer me. Listen to me now, and hear what I say. Your love is wonderful." (Psalm 17:6-7)

I could probably write a list of all the things I have prayed about in my life, and tell my life story at the same time. From prayers about wanting a baby sister or brother for Christmas to desperately praying for mourning family members and friends... and quite everything in between. Most amazing is that God hears us and answers us... even though I have absolutely nothing to give in return. This is not the way most of our relationships on earth work. In this world of: "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours," it's hard to imagine a relationship where one person is giving with no price tag attached... only belief and acceptance and a commitment to following our Lord. Lord, I have nothing to give to You, but I do call to you... for guidance, for wisdom, for teaching... that I may walk more closely with You, following Your will for my life every day. Your love is wonderful and fair and just. You hear the prayers of all who turn to you- the tax collector, the sinner, the educated, the powerful, the sick, the lonely.

Nothing to Hide
Proverbs 5:21-23

"The Lord sees everything you do, and he watches where you go." (Proverbs 5:21-23)

After stepping outside of this country, it hits you in the face... the fact that Americans are very particular about their public and private lives. It's not like this everywhere. In Brazil, everything is everybody's business... especially in little communities like Campo Limpo. Everyone knows absolutely everything about everyone. And they'll ask you anything. There isn't this great concept of private/public information. While people here may succeed at hiding some of their stranger behaviors from the general public arena, we must remember that God sees it all. Our omniscient Lord knows the inner workings of our hearts, our minds, and our quiet times 'alone.' His eye is watching over us, and we cannot hide anything. This is all the more reason to celebrate God's grace... because my Lord knows me and yet still loves me... loves us all- despite our struggles and flaws and difficulties.

Nothing to Covet
Matthew 20:1-16

"But the man who owned the vineyard said to one of those workers, 'Friend, I am being fair to you. You agreed to work for one coin. So take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same pay that I gave you. I can do what I want with my own money. Are you jealous because I am good to those people?' So those who are last now will someday be first, and those who are first now will someday be last." (Matthew 20:13-16)

This is another story that is easy to read through, but it's much more difficult to really internalize. Imagine if all the other GATs were earning more than me. The same work, the same course load... yet more money? It's not fair! But, if we have enough... it is fair... it is enough. When I was in Boston, some workers were actually paid, while I was given room, board and a stipend. It was difficult at first to see the disparity, but then I needed to remember what I was doing. I learned to stop with the "give me mores" and rest in the "your love is sufficient."

As it is mentioned here, the passage is about those entering the kingdom of heaven. I may think- I've put in years and years of trying to follow the Lord... why am I treated the same as this person who just gave their life to Christ? But it's not a competition... God's grace is sufficient for all of us. And we can follow God together as brothers and sisters, trusting that our Lord is just and righteous and each will be judged as it should be.

No comments: