Monday, January 12, 2009

Lord of our Hearts...in all our relationships

*the late edition- Lord, what a crazy morning I had finishing up my syllabus and semester schedule. Forgive me, Lord for taking this time out later than usual... and thank You for helping me through the day. May all of my classes be a good use of the gifts that You have given me.

Romantic Relationships
Genesis 23:1-24:67

"The servant said, 'Lord, God of my master Abraham, allow me to find a wife for his son today. Please show this kindness to my master Abraham.'" (Genesis 24:12)

I've always liked the story of Rebekah and Isaac, perhaps I just always found it so much less complicated than the way that we deal with the mixed up world of boys and girls and emotions. It's reassuring to think that God has a hand in guiding me to a special relationship in my life. And while a lot of people might debate this, present evidence convinces me that it's true.

Regardless of whether you believe that God has set someone special for you, this story shows that God hears the prayer about the future relationship. We are told to pray about all things. Personally, I have been in prayer about this area of my life, had my prayers answered and with a very grateful heart I continue to hold this in prayer. Oh Lord of my heart, you have shown such great kindness to me! I pray that I may continue to seek Your wisdom and guidance for this area of my life.

Friendships
Matthew 9:1-17

"As Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and 'sinners' came and ate with Jesus and his followers. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked Jesus' followers, 'Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?' When Jesus heard them, he said, 'It is not the healthy people who need a doctor, but the sick. Go and learn what this means: 'I want kindness more than I want animal sacrifices.' I did not come to invite good people but to invite sinners." (Matthew 9:10-13)

I feel that this example set by Jesus is one that we very seldom follow. Jesus hung out with the most unlikely folks- the homeless guy down the street, the lady at the toll booth, the prostitute from the corner. I was recently reminded of a story that Tony Campolo tells about how he threw a birthday party for a prostitute, when he found out it was her birthday.

Tony Campolo, now that's my kind of Christian! Did you know he was on the Colbert Report? (Check this out.)

No comments: