Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Something Different

~Brooks, a running shoe company, used to have a slogan that said, "Runners- yeah, we're different." I suppose this advertisement aimed to inspire a sense of belonging to runners, and I have to admit that runners are a bit different. But then again, so are Christians... if we are doing our job. And then, the other part of the job is actually explaining why we are different and what motivates us or allows us to live such a different kind of lifestyle.

Success
Genesis 39:1-40:23

"But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him kindness and caused the prison warden to like Joseph. The prison warden chose Joseph to take care of all the prisoners, and he was responsible for whatever was done in the prison. The warden paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph's care because the Lord was with Joseph and made him successful in everything he did. (Genesis 39:21-23)

Even in the depths of prison- a space designed to maintain a certain power structure- God made everything different for Joseph. He helped the warden to get along with Joseph and even give him responsibility. Even in prison, yes, God certainly gave Joseph success in everything he did. While we have troubles and difficulties along the way, when I do keep following God, I will eventually find those moments of great God-given success. I can't explain why I've been given so many opportunities to travel on behalf of my church and different volunteer organizations or why some things just seem to work out for me. It's certainly not by my own power. Following the Lord's will for my life makes everything different. Help me to follow You more closely in this year, O Lord... trusting in the blessings that you have given me and plan for my future.

Wisdom
Proverbs 4:1-6

"Hold on to my words with all your heart. Keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom and understanding. Don't forget or ignore my words. Hold on to wisdom, and it will take care of you. Love it, and it will keep you safe." (Proverbs 4:4-6)

Here it is again- wisdom. In this passage, it talks of a parent passing on words of wisdom to a child. Very important lessons indeed, but how much more valuable is the wisdom from our heavenly Father. I love to read Your words, oh Lord... and I guard them in my heart. This year I will try to memorize more scripture together with the verses so that I know where to go to read Your good words. I do love Your words, and help me to live them... to trust in them... and thereby live a different kind of life- the life that You would have us live.

Savior- son of the carpenter

"They said, 'Where did this man get his wisdom and his power to do miracles? He is just the son of a carpenter... Where they does this man get all these things?'... So the people were upset with Jesus. But Jesus said to them, 'A prophet is honored everywhere except in his hometown and in his own home.'" (Mathew 13:54-57)

Where indeed? People heard Jesus' words and wisdom and saw his miracles and knew that there was something different about this guy. And it clashed with their knowledge of his family, well, the family they were aware of. If they had only understood who Jesus was, it would've been all too clear where he got his wisdom and authority. While I don't at all nor will I ever compare to Jesus' perfection, it is always my goal. And once in a while people will wonder at why I act in such a strange way or why I'm such a strange American. But I honestly am only aiming to be follow the example set for me in Jesus Christ.

Also, people who don't know me or haven't kept up with the many places I've been and how they've molded me as a a person might similarly ask, "Isn't that just Katie from Royersford?" I live a different life than I used to... quite different from habits I've had in the past... and yes, even different from my parents (while many things are the same, I've also made my own choices). And I think this is important... I constantly examine how I am living and how I could live my life better and more completely in service and honor to God. As today I think about the change for the nation, I also ask You to change my heart, God. Help me to live a different life... honoring You.

No comments: