Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Challenge

~For me, being a Christian is not something to be taken lightly. If we believe and truly accept Jesus into our hearts, not only will we be challenged to tell everyone of the abundant joy and grace we experience... but we will also live that out in everything we do, every interaction we have. Good thing that I'm always up for a good challenge. Alexandre used to tell me that I was crazy for only liking the "most challenging things." A longer run, a faster race, a better grade, a more complete project, a more interesting class. As a Christian, I am challenged to be more like persistent Jacob, more wise as suggested by Proverbs, and more devoted as instructed by Jesus.

Working for A Wife
Genesis 29:1-30:43

"Laban said, 'In our country, we do not allow the younger daughter to marry before the older daughter. But complete the full week of the marriage ceremony with Leah, and I will give you Rachel to marry also. But you must serve me another seven years.'" (Genesis 29:26-27)

Wow... can you imagine getting news like this after 7 years of long hard work. That's like, sorry, you can't have a Ph.D.... just a masters, but you can get a Ph.D. after 7 more years. Yikes. I can't imagine how Jacob must've felt at that moment he'd been tricked by Laban. But, the amazing thing about this story to me is the fact that Jacob actually accepts it and works for 7 more years! Talk about patience and perserverance and hard work and diligence. Yeah, Jacob seems like a pretty good character, and imagine Rachel's delight at knowing how much she meant to her future spouse.

Pastor Suely's take on the story is that whenever anyone gets married, they marry a "Leah." She explained that marraiges are hard and difficult to navigate, but after some years of patience and perseverance and hard work and diligence (perhaps the 7 years Jacob put in), you are married to your "Rachel." I'm not quite sure what I think about this explanation, but I do agree that all relationships require 'work' (although it's oftentimes pleasant- just spending time with people and getting to know them). I also feel that sometimes you just decide to love someone. Jacob must've been so very decided, and Rachel so very honored that he made room in his own life, offering a space in his heart and schedule and plans for her... obviously thinking her worth the challenge.

Working for Wisdom
Proverbs 3:13-18

"Happy is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gets understanding. Wisdom is worth more than silver; it brings more profit than gold. Wisdom is more precious than rubies; nothing you could want is equal to it. With her right hand wisdom offers you a long life, and with her left hand she gives you riches and honor. Wisdom will make your life pleasant and will bring you peace. As a tree produces fruit, wisdom gives life to those who use it, and everyone who uses it will be happy." (Proverbs 3:13-18)

Wikipedia defines wisdom as "Wisdom is knowledge, understanding, experience, discretion and intuitive understanding, along with the capacity to apply these qualities well towards finding solutions to problems. It is the judicious and purposeful application of knowledge that is valued in society. "

I do wish for wisdom... moreso than riches and certainly more than rubies, but upon reading this definition, I understand that wisdom is not easy to come by. Most of us recognize the importance of knowledge embodied in the value called 'wisdom,' but the idea that 'experience' and 'intuitive understanding' as well as the application of all of this in problem-solving make wisdom a true challenge if I ever heard one. Yet, I am blessed to have wonderful friends who help me grow in wisdom, bringing a peaceful and fulfilling understanding out of an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Listening carefully is an important part of growing in understanding, and I pray improve this part of my communication, as suggested by the poem "A Wise Old Owl" which Mr. Christoffersen recited:

A wise old owl lived in an oak.
The more he saw the less he spoke.
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

Working for True Life
Matthew 10:16-42

"Those who try to hold on to their lives will give up true life. Those who give up their lives for me will hold on to true life." (Matthew 10:38-39)

A familiar verse, and sometimes I fear that the familiarity of it is the very thing that stops it from really challenging me the way that it needs to. Perhaps this is one reason I try to live simply... I can truly appreciate what is the most important part of my life- You, oh Lord Jesus. I continually ask myself whether I am really giving up my whole life for Your glory and purpose. Please teach me to discern your will for my life, knowing that You will give me the strength to face the challenge of living always only for You.

No comments: