Friday, January 9, 2009

Ask, Seek, Knock

Ask
Genesis 17:1-18:33

"Then the Lord said to Abraham, 'Why did Sarah laugh? Why did she say, 'I am too old to have a baby'? Is anything too hard for the Lord? No! I will return to you at the right time a year from now, and Sarah will have a son.'" (Genesis 17:13-14)

Go ahead- ask. It's like that special 'best friend' relationship where anything goes... you can ask anything, you can say anything. There is no question too intrusive, no comment considered 'out of bounds,' because of the unconditional agape love upon which the friendship is built. If we can experience this openness in friendships, how much moreso with God. And when we ask God, God is able to give us an answer, according to His will... just as He gave a child to Sarah in her old age. In the light of my own powerlessness, I ask help from my Lord who is all-powerful.

Seek
Psalm 5:7-12

"Because of your great love, I can come into your Temple. Because I fear and respect you, I can worship in your holy Temple. Lord, since I have many enemies, show me the right thing to do. Show me clearly how you want me to live." (Psalm 5:7-8)

I am reminded of our Thursday night programs at the old Royersford COB, appropriately named "Seekers." It wasn't until after I was out of the program that I truly appreciated this name. So fitting- we went to pray, to sing, to study the Bible, to learn from the wisdom of other Christians. We went to actively seek God's will in our young lives. Now, I'm not suggesting that we should do this just on Thursdays or just one day a week. But these are some good ways to go about actively searching out God's heart. We find what we seek when we look for God's intentions. Lord, please teach me to seek out and find how You want me to live... and help me to live that out... for Your glory always.

Knock
Matthew 7:1-29

"Ask, and God will give to you. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will open for you. Yes, everyone who asks will receive. Everyone who searches will find. And everyone who knocks will have the door opened... Even though you are bad, you know how to give good gifts to your children. How much more your heavenly Father will give good things to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:7-11)

"Knock, knock." "Who's there?" But this time, it's no joke. The door will be opened. God knows it's you, and you will be welcomed into God's arms when you actively go to God's footstep and ask to be let in on His will for Your life. And not only will we be welcomed inside, but God promises to give us good things. (You don't even have that certainty when trick-or-treating these days.) Lord, sometimes I feel shy about going to You with my requests, but let me learn of the wisdom and good gifts that come from asking, seeking and knocking. Now I lay all of my heart at Your feet, oh Lord.

No comments: