Friday, January 22, 2010

Seeing isn't Believing- Believing is Seeing

In the movie "The Santa Clause," the little boy says to his father, "Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing." Just because people see something doesn't mean they will believe it. I wonder how much more this is true today, where we have all sorts of special effects that can trick our eyes and most of our senses. In some ways, all our technology seems to have resulted in a higher rate of doubt. But, maybe it's not that different from back in the day. Just look at Moses and Peter, for example. They saw, but they still had problems believing.


Seeing the Burning Bush & Miracles... Moses still didn't believe.


10 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

13 But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

14 Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. 15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. 16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him. 17 But take this staff in your hand so you can perform miraculous signs with it." -Exodus 4:10-17


Moses has just been standing in front of a burning bush! He has watched his rod be turned into a snake and back into a rod again! Is that enough to make him believe in God's power to do anything through him? Apparently not. Moses starts in with the "buts." But... I don''t speak well. "I'll teach you what to say." And then we get to the crux of the matter. Moses says, "Send someone else," or "I don't wanna." God is angry, but He's not giving up. He finally offers his brother Aaron to help. They'll both work together and God will prepare them. Moses is still nervous. In fact, in the next chapter he comments twice, "Why would Pharaoh listen to me? I have faltering lips." (I guess he didn't get the Aaron memo.) Anyway, there's another important lesson hidden here. Even if Moses wasn't sure 100%, he was still faithful to what he was called to do. Even in his disbelief, he acted in belief. Perhaps, sometimes doing, following, obeying is the key to seeing.

I was particularly touched when I read verses 14-15 this morning. I wonder whether that is what God is doing in my life. I have felt called to ministry, but I have also felt nervous at the thought of pastoring a church on my own. Is the church ready to accept a female pastor? How would I deal with different kinds of issues on my own? I wonder whether He has said to me, "What about your fiance Brad? I will teach both of you to speak and teach you what to do." Maybe this is God's way of giving me a bit of extra confidence, encouraging me to be obedient to His call and recognize that He can and will prepare me, even if I can't see it right now.


Seeing Jesus Walk on Water... Peter still didn't believe

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." -Matthew 14:27-33


Peter is another classic example of seeing but not believing quite enough. Peter saw Jesus on the water, and he took the first steps of faith. But something happened, he felt insecure, something wasn't going right. In fact, it sounds kind of like the story of Moses. "Lord, why are you bringing only hardship on the people? Pharaoh won't listen and is making things worse for them!" Moses had his moments to doubt what was going on. And in the middle of the dark mysterious sea, Peter probably looked around and couldn't believe what he saw, what was going on. In seems to me more like when you're walking on a tightrope or wire and then you stop and think about it... "What! I'm that high?!? I don't believe it!"

But Jesus said, "It is I." Not just a declaration of who the physical person was in the water... but it was Jesus, Lord and authority of all that beckoned Peter to come. That was what Peter had failed to have faith in. He failed to believe that the great "I am" would take him to meet Jesus.... none of his own power.

But in each of the stories, Peter and Moses are obedient despite their disbelief, and Jesus is faithful in coming to their aid. God helps Moses to get the people out of Egypt, and Jesus pulls Peter from drowning in the deep. And even more, it is the source of great joy and praise for the Lord. People praised God for how Moses helped to bring them out of Egypt, and people praised God for how Jesus had been walking on water and helped Peter into the boat, as the wind died down. May all our lives be a means to worship You, Father.

Lord I pray that You would help me to be productive this day, completing all that I need to finish. Also, Lord, help me be a light to my students and anyone who needs to hear of You. And watch over Jamie... help the doctors to heal her. Take care of my Aunt Joan in her surgery. Continue to watch over Marisa in her pregnancy, and help Mannu's break to be beneficial for him.

No comments: