Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Seeing God... at ALL times

In Times of Trouble

6 So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died: 17 'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.
18 His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said.

19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. -Genesis 49:16-4
1

I love the story of Joseph. I have to say Joseph and Joshua are two of my favorite characters in the whole Bible, besides Jesus and others of course. I admire Joseph so much, because at the toughest times, he looked to God and he saw how God worked through those difficult moments. Let's face it: the boy was thrown into a pit, sold into slavery, wrongly accused, sent to prison! If anyone had a right to scream, "It's just not fair!", it would be Joseph. But, Joseph at the end held no grudge. In fact, he explained to his brothers that it was all as God intended. How many of us are able to look back at our past relationships, our jobs that led nowhere, our struggles and say, "Hey, former boss, don't worry. It was all as God intended."

It's hard to see God when you're in the middle of a tough time, but that's why it's so important that we stay so close to Him. Prayer, scripture reading, journaling, any of the many spiritual disciplines. Right now I have to admit that I'm not handling all the stress of decisions about next year and wedding planning as well as I'd like to. I just wish that there were some easy and clear answer. Even worse, I feel like that sometimes affects my relationships, and I'm so sorry for the pain or difficulty or headaches I've caused Brad at the moment we're supposed to be so happy and excited about our engagement, but I thank God that he is so understanding and patient and willing to talk things through. And we have a God who asks us to "knock" and assures us that "all things work together for good." Besides, I have a wonderful love and friend to remind me to look to the Lord in times of trouble.


In Times of Doubt

When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?" they asked. 55"Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" 57And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."
58And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith. -Matthew 13:53-58


I'm struck by this passage this morning, because the people doubted Jesus. You're probably saying, "Yes. That's quite apparent. How is that a revelation of any kind?" Well, we often begin to doubt ourselves when other people doubt us. When other people fail to see the potential that is in us or the preparations for ministry or the goodness of the Lord that we express, we doubt it too. But why? We can't hold stock in what other people don't believe, because Jesus hometown didn't even recognize Him as Lord. They didn't see his potential or believe enough for him to do miracles there with them.

While it is important to have spiritual advisors and mentors, we must also recognize that not everyone will be able to see what God has called us to. Some will doubt, but we can keep our eyes fixed upon the Lord and follow where He calls. This morning I pray Lord that You lead me next year. Where would you have me go? Bethany Seminary courses? Teaching? PhD? I'll follow Your lead, and I believe that You can work through me, when I invite You to.

No comments: