Thursday, January 14, 2010

Freely Give

Jacob Gives Freely (And Insists)

8 Esau asked, "What do you mean by all these droves I met?"
"To find favor in your eyes, my lord," he said.

9 But Esau said, "I already have plenty, my brother. Keep what you have for yourself."

10 "No, please!" said Jacob. "If I have found favor in your eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably. 11 Please accept the present that was brought to you, for God has been gracious to me and I have all I need." And because Jacob insisted, Esau accepted it. -Genesis 33:8-10


This morning this passage reminds me almost exactly of something Brad told me recently. He gave me a ring as a symbol of his love and affection for me a few days ago, and not just any ring- but a very beautiful ring. Unfortunately, I also know the value of this ring, and it's hard for me to accept such a gift... something so beautiful and so expensive. But he told me that it was a gift he wanted to give to me, that he has all he needs. It's beautiful the way that Jacob insists- showing that he really wants to give this gift, that it comes from his heart.

It reminds me of a Brazilian custom which sticks with me to this day. Brazilians know how to insist. You insist in offering food even to the point of placing the piece of cake on someone's plate after they've said no (politely) 4 times. Insisting shows your desire to give something.


Disciples Instructed to Give Freely

Freely you have received, freely give. 9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; 10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep. -Matthew 10:8-10

On the other end of things, I'm reminded of the Dominican Republic, where you are expected to immediately accept and consume with great enjoyment anything that is offered to you. Hesitation is not looked at as polite, because the giver is blessed for giving. You are partly accepting the gift in respect and blessing to the one who gave it. Whether a fresh juice or freshly cut coconut, you are blessed by the gift, but it is also important that the giver is blessed.

When travelling, I have found no need to take anything extravagant along. In reading these verses, I laugh, because I did not take an extra coat or pillow case or towel or anything. Marcos and Sueli were more than kind enough to give me (freely) what I lacked. My other friends also gave me clothes when they noticed that I wore the same thing week after week. And they did this with great joy... knowing that in some small way it showed their appreciation for the worker, and her work.


Freely Give of the Greatest Treasures (God's Power)

We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. —2 Corinthians 4:7

But the greatest thing that we can give is not mere material goods, but it is the power that God grants us, working though us. This is what we need to freely give... the power of God that is in us, which makes all the difference. Lord help me to be a vessel of your treasure today... passing that power on to everyone.

No comments: