Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Advice

Unwanted advice is sometimes the worst thing to give someone. However, there are times when we need advice, even when we don't recognize it. There are times when we need advice to help us with what we are doing (Moses), to clarify a point (Jesus) and to correct (read Matthew). And in each instance, we many find helpful advice coming from family, from our Lord and from our brothers and sisters in Christ

Advice from Family

13 The next day Moses took his seat to serve as judge for the people, and they stood around him from morning till evening. 14 When his father-in-law saw all that Moses was doing for the people, he said, "What is this you are doing for the people? Why do you alone sit as judge, while all these people stand around you from morning till evening?"

15 Moses answered him, "Because the people come to me to seek God's will. 16 Whenever they have a dispute, it is brought to me, and I decide between the parties and inform them of God's decrees and laws."

17 Moses' father-in-law replied, "What you are doing is not good. 18 You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone. 19 Listen now to me and I will give you some advice, and may God be with you. You must be the people's representative before God and bring their disputes to him. 20 Teach them the decrees and laws, and show them the way to live and the duties they are to perform. 21 But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 22 Have them serve as judges for the people at all times, but have them bring every difficult case to you; the simple cases they can decide themselves. That will make your load lighter, because they will share it with you. 23 If you do this and God so commands, you will be able to stand the strain, and all these people will go home satisfied."

24 Moses listened to his father-in-law and did everything he said. 25 He chose capable men from all Israel and made them leaders of the people, officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 26 They served as judges for the people at all times. The difficult cases they brought to Moses, but the simple ones they decided themselves.

I've always loved this passage, especially because I feel that I myself am very prone to what Moses was doing, as well as society in general. We are individualistic, taking on whatever we can do ourselves. A book I read as a kid was "I Can Do It Myself." In the book, it talked about tying shoes and brushing teeth, but the sentiment started early. We are taught early that we can (and should) "do it ourselves." Sometimes it's harder to let others in on the process.

And right now as I deal with a big decision, I need to allow the people who God has placed in my life to help me with advice, wisdom, counsel.



Advice from Jesus

1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. 6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.


It is equally important to turn to the scriptures and prayer to seek God's wisdom for our lives. Jesus has the answer, and He choses to disclose it at the right time. It is amazing how His word provides so many of the answers to the concerns that are on my heart. Just by searching His word, He comes to us. Recently I have been nervous about my direction next year and which way God would have me go. This morning, in this Bible reading, I see God directing me to seek counsel with my family, Him (prayer), and my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am not in it alone.


Advice from Your Brother

15"If your brother sins against you,[b] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'[c] 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
18"I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be[d]bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.

19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."


This is the hardest advice. To give this advice well (in a loving manner) and to accept it with grace and a humble heart. It might be easy to point the finger, but it's much harder to point out a needed change in a brother or sister in a way that is genuinely loving, based on their own good. And to accept such advice without a chorus of resistance takes great strength and humility of character.

I find it especially beautiful, that verses 19 and 20 follow this. It would seem that maybe we are being directed to pray together for the change that needs to come about in our brother and sister... a new lifestyle, a new dedication to the Lord, a new habit of Bible study every morning, etc.


Lord, this morning I pray that You would guide and direct me in Your paths. I know that I may come to You, seeking and expecting answers. I also pray that You would give me a sense of peace, and show me the ways of Your peace.

Moreover, I pray for my Aunt Joan, Lord. Please heal her body. Help her as she recovers from her surgery. Bless and comfort her and her family, and ease her heart. Also I pray for Jess' sister, Mark's sister and thank You for a day that I may begin in your presence Lord. It is so beautiful.

No comments: