Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bueno es Alabarte Senor!

Praise God for Spouses

19 Laban said, "It's better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me." 20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her. -Genesis 29:19-20

I love reading this about Jacob... seven years of hard works "seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." It's like the most beautiful love note... hidden in Gensis! Now engaged to a wonderful man, I pray that it might be the same for us. I know that this past year has gone so fast... and he has made my life so much better. And I pray that it might be the same for him, and for both of us for many many years as we seek to serve God together. I praise God for the man who is so kind and loving, which only inspires more love for him. I only in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever find someone like Brad, and he is certainly more than I even hoped for.


Praise God for Children

35 She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, "This time I will praise the LORD." So she named him Judah. [e] Then she stopped having children. -Genesis 29:35

While I find this part of the story exceedingly strange (where Leah and Rachel are having a sort of 'child-bearing competition'), I need to remember that it's a different culture and a different time. Some things I probably won't be able to understand very well. But at least I can be thankful that I won't have a Rachel or a Leah to compete with. I trust that the kind of love meant for Brad and my relatinship will not be divided with anyone else.

But what I noticed this morning as I read was how each of the women gave praise to the Lord each time they bore a child. Whenever any such blessing happens to our lives, we should lift our hands and face to God, smile and say, "Praise be to God!" It strikes me as odd how people say "congratulations" to me on my engagement, as if it is something which I have won or earned or done of my own accord. Instead, I am certain that it is something God has done. God has brought the two of us together, and so I give all the praise and the "congratulations" to Him!


Praise God for Miracles

4Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? 6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home." 7And the man got up and went home. 8When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men. -Matthew 9:4-8

This account of a miracle strikes me as unique this morning in a very similar manner. While people are amazed at other instances where Jesus performs miracles, here I am interested to read that not only is the crowd filled with 'awe', but they 'praised God, who had given such authority to men.' This is what I pray for my whole life... that it may be a living testimony to the Lord my God... so that people may see everything that I may do in my teaching, in my studies, in my interactions, in my Bible Studies, in my church, in my service, in my love... and 'praise God, who has given such authority to people'. May everything be a reason given to all... to praise the Lord our God.

No comments: