Thursday, January 7, 2010

God Loveth Adverbs: It's Not What You Do, It's How You Do It

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -Colassians 3:12-17


Reflection from ODB

The Puritans wisely sought to connect all of life to its source in God, bringing the two worlds together rather than dividing them into sacred and secular. They had a saying, “God loveth adverbs; and careth not how good, but how well.” Adverbs describe verbs—our words of action and activity. The proverb implies that God cares more about the spirit in which we live than the concrete results.

This reflection rings true for me for several reasons. First of all, I love the fact that it mentions adverbs. (I recently did an entire project on that.) However, I'm also excited about the fact that it emphasizes that 'it's not what you do- it's how you do it.' One of my strong points is discipline... so I'm very going about doing things faithfully. But sometimes I lose the heart of what I'm doing for the 'doing' of it. I can't see the forst for the trees... or in this case, I can't see the adverbs for the verbs. This morning this is a beautiful reminder to do with all my heart... to live and love and serve God with adverbs.

It's How You Believe

Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. 11 Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master [d] is old, will I now have this pleasure?"

13 Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' 14 Is anything too hard for the LORD ? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son."

15 Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh."
But he said, "Yes, you did laugh."- Genesis 18:10-15


God knows our heart. God knows when we doubt, just like Sarah. And why? Why did she laugh? Why did she doubt? I have to admit I've had my moments too. There are moments when I felt that I would never meet someone, and perhaps that would be the best for everyone. But, God must've been shaking His head and saying, "Why do you laugh, Katie? Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Nothing is impossible for Him, and I need to believe even when it's hard... that He will help me to be all that He needs me to be.

It's How You Obey

16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them. 17 As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, "Flee for your lives! Don't look back, and don't stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!"

23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. -Genesis 19:16-17, 23-26


This is a rather scary passage... the fact that even just looking back caused Lot's wife to turn into a pillar of salt. I think sometimes people use this verse as an excuse. They avoid going into ministry or various positions, because they think...well, if I turn back I'll be disobedient. The fact is that not following at all is even more disobedient. Lot's wife would've surely perished in the fire of the cities if she had never left, never followed at all. But following God requires an honest seeking of His will for our lives.

It's How You Give, Pray, Fast

1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. -Matthew 6:1-2


5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. -Matthew 6:5

16"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting.- Matthew 5:16

Matthew is all about the heart of the matter, as we read yesterday. It's no longer just about the rules... but it's about understanding the deeper meaning and purpose behind those rules. All of these acts: giving, praying and fasting are meant for God. We should not do them in a way that displays them before other people in vanity, show and boasting. Instead, if we keep them hidden between our heart and the Lord's, our manner (adverb) matching with our action (verb).

No comments: