Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pressing On

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. —Philippians 3:14

Pressing On: Following God's Call


Then Jacob left Beersheba, and Israel's sons took their father Jacob and their children and their wives in the carts that Pharaoh had sent to transport him. 6 They also took with them their livestock and the possessions they had acquired in Canaan, and Jacob and all his offspring went to Egypt. 7 He took with him to Egypt his sons and grandsons and his daughters and granddaughters—all his offspring. -Genesis 46:5-7

I guess I never really considered before how very much it took for anyone to move anywhere. It didn't just involve moving one nuclear family of 4 or 5. It was a whole caravan of like 70 people! Can you imagine?! When we were kids, it was enough to get the 4 of us out the door and in the car and ready for the trip at the same time. After the... "Wait, I have to go to the bathroom." "Do you have the keys?" "Where's Jerry's suitcase?" "I forgot something." "I'll be right back." "Do we have any snacks?" "How long until we get there?" Imagine that times 70! Moving was a huge commitment of time, effort and energy. You really had to believe that it would be better that you were going, that God was calling you there.

I'm a little nervous about next year, as I try to discern where God wants me, where He's sending me, what He would have me do. And talking to Em yesterday, I know I'd love to take some Bethany courses. But, how will I make ends meet? How will I pay $800 a semester? Where will I get my income? I guess there's a lot that Jacob didn't know either. Or do I continue with a PhD? Lord, be my guide. I want to press on toward You.


Pressing On: Bearing 'Fruit'

23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." -Matthew 13:23

And yet, in all circumstances, we try to be like the seed that fell on good soil. It doesn't say that this seed was just healthy and grew up in the church. There's much greater expectations for this seed. It spread to 60 or 30 times what was sown. Lord, use me to spread Your word, Your compassion and Your love in whatever way I can... today and every day.

No comments: