Sunday, January 24, 2010

None Like You

An Amazing God

13 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me, 14 or this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you and against your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth. -Exodus 9:13-14

9 The LORD had said to Moses, "Pharaoh will refuse to listen to you—so that my wonders may be multiplied in Egypt." -Exodus 11:9


Reflecting on this passage this morning, it's true. Had the Pharaoh said, "Alright, guys. Go. Have a nice time. See you later," then we wouldn't have had any of these signs and miracles. We wouldn't have this example of how the Lord takes care of His children. These plagues were signs not just for the Pharaoh, not just for the Egyptians or the officials, but for the Israelites as well. They saw the power of God working through Moses, their faith in God increased, and they were ready to follow him to the Promised Land. I'm not sure much less would've convinced such a group of people to wander the desert.

I feel like sometimes it does work this way. When we speak of God and His faithfulness in our lives, not only are others encouraged... we are encouraged also. Praising God, knowing God, loving God... and keeping all these things on our lips and on our heart remind us that there is none like Him.


A Powerful God

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. -Matthew 15:27-
28

I've read this story so many times, but this morning I'm struck by a different thought. First, the woman's answer shows surprising faith in Jesus' power, because she recognizes that Him healing her daughter is just a "crumb." She acknowledges Jesus infinite power by recognizing that it is so easy for him... that He has authority over everything... it's like something that falls away from Him, no effort exerted. Not everyone at this point in time would realize Jesus power to heal as a "crumb."

There is no one else as powerful... to be able to call such a great miracle a "crumb."


A Compassionate God


32Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way."- Matthew 15:32

I likr this story as told in Matthew. Matthew not only gives the actions but the motives. Jesus didn't just perform the miracle because He could. He didn't just provide food for no reason. He did so, because He had compassion on the people. He worried about their ability to make it back to town in a good state.

His love and compassion are still what motivate Him to provide and care for us. Thank You, Father, for taking compassion upon us... using Your unfathomable power for the benefit of Your children. I praise You for all that You have done in my life and for all that You will do in my life.

No comments: