Friday, January 29, 2010

Are You Up to the Challenge?

I remember that my ex-boyfriend Alexandre would comment, "Mulher fogo! Ela gosta das coisas mais dificeis!" This was in response to how I commented that I liked my hard work-outs and running up the mountain. Translated it means, "Gutsy woman! She likes the more challenging things!" I suppose I've proven the point again with my recent marathon... and now my goal to be a Boston qualifier. I wonder when it's started. It's always been this way. The surest way to make sure I was going to reach a goal was to challenge me on it and tell me I can't. Then look at how fast I'll prove you wrong! Well, Jesus provides some really wonderful challenges in today's scripture reading.

The Challenge of No-Matter-What Love & Commitment

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'[b]? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage[c]because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." -Matthew 19:7-12


Making a commitment seems to be harder for people in this opt-out society. People want to keep their options open. They switch jobs, move more frequently. We've become more attracted to change and less content with what we have and the comfort of stability. I wonder whether it's the situation of the chicken and the egg. Which came first? Divorce? Or doubt of stability and commitment in marriage?

The rate of divorce is alarming. Maybe people don't recognize the wedding as what it really is... they concentrate on colors and dresses instead of the really important thing- making a commitment before God, friends and family to honor, respect, love and serve one another for all the days of your life. The good days, and the bad days.

In the Fall, I remember Brad and I had a misunderstanding. I can't say fight, because we weren't of two different opinions. It was just a misunderstanding of each other's styles of expression. I was worried. I thought he might not want to work things out or see the many good things in our relationship. I told my good friend Reena, "I don't know. I just, sometimes I think it might just be easier to stop, to let it go." She responded, "That would be easier," and let me continue by saying, "Well, I guess the thing that matters the most to me is if I'm still good for him." Once he reassured me of this fact, I was ready to stay, ready to talk about things, ready to understand and mend what had been broken, heal the wounds that had opened.

A commitment is a challenge, but I firmly believe that God has given us this word, that God has brought us together, and that we are up to this very beautiful challenge: difficult at times but so beautiful and rewarding in the long run. It'll be a beautiful marathon.


The Challenge of Simple Living & Following God

6Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

18"Which ones?" the man inquired.

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'[e]"

20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

27Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

28Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother[f] or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.


If anyone may criticize my writings, it's probably on the basis that I focus mostly on application and what God calls us to do based on what I read. People prefer to look at the scriptures and see the character of God and see the story, without putting it into the context of their own lives. And I think that's the easier way to do it. But I don't think Jesus intends it to be easy.

I believe we can see that this direction is meant for us, because some random man came up to Jesus and asked what to do. It wasn't meant specifically for his disciples. So, he told the man the commands to follow. When the man said he did all of that, Jesus presents the challenge to be perfect.... leave everything and follow me.

People talk about callings and vocation quite a lot, about how certain people are set apart for ministry. And the Bible definitely does teach that, but this verse makes me wonder. How much of it is obedience to a call that Jesus gives to all of us. Perhaps some of us are just more sensitive towards it... our hearts are tender toward His leadings. Jesus says, Come. Follow. And we must trust that He will prepare and direct and lead us.

I don't mean to skip the first part, which is also very important- selling possessions to the poor- but you must also recognize that this is connected. Jesus doesn't separate the two. They are connected. Selling everything to the poor is with the hope to follow Jesus more closely, whether that's in a physical or spiritual sense. And in today's society... that's a huge challenge. Both are a huge challenge. Here are the university, students get used to living with relatively little. But, how many students tithe and donate to the poor? I've always found it poignant where Jesus says- who ever is faithful with little, will be faithful with much. When I lived in Brazil, I was earning $60/month or perhaps less due to the cost of the dollar and my commitment to cover the cost of housing. But, I always tithed. It wasn't much... but it was something I could give.

Leave everything.

Sell your possessions to the poor.

Follow me.

Our reward will be great in heaven, and I believe it is a very rewarding life on earth as well. People talk about what I did as kind, but the irony of that kind of work is that you are blessed beyond belief. I loved my time in Brazil- so close to my God, so close to His heart, so close to the challenge.

No comments: