Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fear of the Unknown

Obey the Unknown

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called . . . . And he went out, not knowing where he was going. —Hebrews 11:8

Just last night Brad and I were talking about 'the unknown' in a manner of speaking. One very exciting part about this moment together is that there are things that are known- our love for each other... but there are also unknowns that we'll learn about each other, that we'll experience as the Lord leads us. And I pray that we obey... leaving fear behind... because perfect love drives out all fear.


Follow the Unknown

50 Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is from the LORD; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. 51 Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master's son, as the LORD has directed."

52 When Abraham's servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the LORD. 53 Then the servant brought out gold and silver jewelry and articles of clothing and gave them to Rebekah; he also gave costly gifts to her brother and to her mother. -Genesis 24:50-53

Laban and Bethuel, Rebekah's relatives were so very obedient in following the Lord. This passage particularly makes me think of things that are "of the Lord." So many people have told me that they see Brad and myself and know that it is "of the Lord," though they each use their own turn of phrase. Some call it a "very special relationship," others comment that "God brought us together," or "the Lord led us to one another." In my humble opinion, this is very true.

But, it's also true that in many ways you can see something that's "of the Lord." Even a person that's on fire for God... you can tell by their joy and love and their lives that they are "of the Lord." Lord, I pray that you make it true that this relationship, that my life, that everything about me is "of the Lord." Guide me this year... as I seek to follow your leading.


Ask the Unknown

7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. -Matthew 7:7-12

This year I am seeking. Seminary? Job? PhD? I'm looking into all three options, but most of all I ask you, Lord. Sometimes it seems like there are so many changes happening. There is so much that is so unknown. But everyone who asks will receive, and everyone who seeks will find. So, Lord, I stand hear asking for your guidance, seeking your wisdom, and knocking on the doors that you would have me enter into this next year. As the song goes, "Take my hand and lead me, Father."

No comments: