Saturday, October 31, 2009

Vessels

Hi everyone... sorry I've been leaving you hanging a bit of late. I've been switching up my devotions some mornings. Sometimes I do more prayer. Sometimes I do devotions with Brad. Sometimes I just want to do them without a computer. While I still love writing it out, I also value being with God in different ways.

He will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. —2 Timothy 2:21

I just finished reading the Timothies recently, and I loved it... as I always do. But I love this verse that was in the ODB this morning. I actually looked up the word for 'vessel' on wordreference.com, and it had as its first definition, a tool for transporting water. That was actually the definition I liked the best. The others said something about a container, but as a transportation device I love it. We are not meant as vessels just to hold God's Holy Spirit, being holy and sanctified to ourselves. We need to be prepared for every good work... useful... 'transporting' His Spirit, His love, His holiness, His goodness to everyone. Make me a vessel today, Lord.

6An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. -Titus 1:6-9

This verse reminds me of how I have been so blessed to have many elders (although we tend to call them deacons... or often 'pillars of the church') who have supported and encouraged me through the years. Perhaps that's why I've always felt so connected to the COB. Even as a young girl, people would encourage me... call on me for certain things... and show me the ways that I should walk. Women who would come and make a huge dinner for our Thursday night kids program; youth who would help out with Vacation Bible School all week long; adults who would volunteer at service programs on the weekends; sunday school teachers; choir directors; nut roll volunteers; the list goes on and on and on. And whatever they did... they did it with a smile. I saw in a very real way that what these people did... they were doing it with all their heart, their soul and their strength for the Lord... with love and joy. And their encouragement is a very real reason for who I am today.

But my 'elders' influences haven't stopped. Just last night I got together with the Graduate Christian Fellowship, and I'm so thankful for the encouragement that each one of them provide to me. These are some of the most intelligent people I've ever met... and sometimes I feel like I don't quite fit in for that reason... but they're also amazingly devoted to our Lord. Despite the challenges of running in an academic circle and proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Savior, they do it. Their support meant so much to me last year... and it still does now. Lord, thank You for placing them in my life... I don't know what I would've done last year without a group like this. Help me to be an encouragement to others in the same way.

No comments: