Monday, October 26, 2009

I Wanna Be Like Christ

A Disclaimer: So, I feel I should explain that I've decided to take a Sabbath break from the computer (not from my devotions... but from the computer). It's nice to have some time away from being in front of the computer all day and see the other things that need tending.

This saying was originally "I wanna be like Mike" referring to Michael Jordan, but I think Christ is much more appropriate for us.

Through the Spirit (predestined?)

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. 28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. ~Romans 8:26-29

I've always loved this verse. It's a beautiful reminder that the Spirit intercedes for us (who have been called to his purpose). I know that the idea of predestination confuses a lot of people, but to me it simply recognizes God's power and omniscience. He is the beginning and the end, very literally. He can be the one who was and is and is to come. As the one who is, He is with us right now in our decisions, but the one who is to come knows what decisions we have already made (as He looks back on us through time).

Anyway, the part of this scripture I'm looking at this morning is how we are to be conformed to the likeness of His son. Lord, we do wanna be like Christ... though it's impossible... teach us to come closer and closer... just a closer walk with thee.

Through God's Work in Us (so we can't boast)

This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,

24 but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD. ~Jeremiah 9:23-24

What a beautiful verse to read this morning. I love this verse that encourages me not to boast in wisdom or strength or riches but only in the Lord. The Lord has given me whatever intelligence or abilities or material goods that I might have. In His kindness and goodness, He has given me so much. I really do delight in the Lord this morning as I count my blessings: my family who is always there for me, my friends who encourage me and lift my spirits, being able to study, my love who means so much to me... so so much more.

And not just that, but this morning I love this verse, because it encourages me. I feel so weak, so small, so unworthy of a place in ministry. There are so many things that would seem to make me unfit, but I praise God for the amazing blessing that He would choose to use even me. And I thank Him for the way He promises to work through me... so that it will all be to His glory and I can boast in Him. Change me Lord, work in me... I praise You for all that You do... that You may be seen in my life.

Through Choices (fighting the good fight)

But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. ~1 Timothy 6:6-12

Not just our prayers and our characters, but our life choices should also reflect our Lord, Father of all. Right now I am praying so much that God would take me and lead me. But even in my prayers, I have faith that at some point, God will use me in ministry. And all of our choices, not just the larger ones should reflect God. So many people fight about money... I think that's why Jesus talked about it so much in His time here. Instead, we are told to 'fight the good fight.' In other words, stop fighting about trivial things and fight the fight of faith! Look at what is important, don't wander from faith.

Sometimes I worry that pursuing a PhD might be selfish, because it's another 3 years with little income... and afterwards I'll still have my debt from college... but looking back on my life I know that I have been so happy and been so close to God at the times when I have had the least. I trust that He will help me to provide for a family when that time comes, that He will be in my heart, and that is the most important thing.

No comments: