Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Come and See the Works of the Lord

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields b]">[b] with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."-Psalm 46:8-10

This Psalm is so interesting to me this morning. While on one hand it talks about peace (ending wars, breaking bows, shattering spears... it also talks about God bringing desolation. And I admit that I don't understand how the two fit together. But perhaps that is just it. Even though I don't understand the present circumstances, I can rest (be still) in the knowledge that God is God and God is at work in the world... and will be exalted among the nations and the earth.

24 "This is what the LORD says—
your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:
I am the LORD,
who has made all things,
who alone stretched out the heavens,
who spread out the earth by myself, -Isaiah 44:24

This reminds me of a couple of Sundays ago. The Sunday School teacher at church was speaking about Creationism. Now I never heard that preached growing up, and it sort of always made sense to me that the '7 days' need not be 7 literal days. Yet, Brad and I in talking about it agreed- the most important thing is that God was bringing the earth into being... no matter how exactly it was done. He made us... He made all things. What wonderful amazing work He has done!

13And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. -1 Thessalonians 2:13

And the work is not just outside of us but also within us! This is the beauty of being a part of bible studies... because throughout the week I can actually feel the word of God at work in me... thinking about Romans (how I might focus on believing, not doing) and Luke (how I might be more obedient, challenged and amazed by the power of God to accomplish His purpose through blessings and actions that affect much more than the individual). Thank You so much Lord for Christians who surround me and encourage me in the word, and Your Holy Spirit which works in me. Continue to transform me... so that Yours may be the glory.

No comments: