Saturday, October 24, 2009

Advice from 1 Timothy 4: All Good Things, Youth, the Gift

3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. 6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

This morning I'm especially thinking of this verse, because I feel like sometimes I personally as well as we as a society run to rules in order to make us feel safe. If we only do this, it will work. We do need to follow principles and guidelines, but thinking of something that is forbidden forgets the importance and centrality of the issue. For instance, if you are forbidden to drink... that's it. But if you choose not to drink, you can explain... it's because you think of families and situations where alcohol is a problem and think of it as a non-necessity, money which could be better spent for those who have no food... but explain that all things are good and not to be rejected. This verse, in fact, is a part of the reason that I'm not a strict vegetarian. If someone offers me something, I do receive it in thanksgiving, recognizing that they have given it as a blessing to me and to their own household... because the giver is blessed, as I am blessed for the gift.

11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

I'm so thankful this morning for my dad... who just celebrated some odd number of years, which I'll call 50, because I honestly don't remember. Maybe it's 64? Well, 50 is a nice number. He'd always take the time to answer the questions I had as a child. Doing my devotions and journaling in middle school, Dad would come in to wish me good night or sing me a goodnight song... a time that was more challenging than for many dads I'm sure. I'd ask him questions about Paul's ideas on slaves and women... on the rules of the old testament and all the wars... on why Cain's offering wasn't accepted if he was in charge of fields, not livestock. But he encouraged me and didn't look down on me in my youth. I hope to start a 'quiet time' or devotional practice with my own kids (if I have them someday)... from a very early age and to always show them... as my father does, that we need to make time every day for the Lord.

13
Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Sometimes I wonder so much about this verse. I'm praying to You, Lord, for guidance. Show me where You would have me go. I want to use my gifts to Your glory... and knowing that my church has called out gifts of ministry in me is something serious to consider. Speak to me, Jesus, and help me to devote myself to You and discern Your will for my life... because that is what I desire.

No comments: