Saturday, October 17, 2009

God- Here Among Us

As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. —Joshua 1:5

Last night the speaker at GCF brought to my attention the irony that so many people will affirm that the Bible is "the word of God," without having ever read it through. Honestly, if we really took it seriously, if everyone recognized that it was the word of God... the Holy of Holies... the creator of the universe, well, I think we'd all be reading it every day! Come read a book written by one who knows all, sees all, can do all! In the same way, I think I forget that God is really here with us... not in a "I'm going to sing it now as a part of a song" way, but in a really real way. God is here! God! The creator of the world! The creator of my being! The only Lord of everything would be in my presence... it's amazing and unbelievable... only proving His goodness, which I still cannot completely comprehend. Lord, You are holy and amazing, and it is hard for me to truly understand Your perfection.

When I came, why was there no one?
When I called, why was there no one to answer?
Was my arm too short to ransom you?
Do I lack the strength to rescue you?
By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea,
I turn rivers into a desert;
their fish rot for lack of water
and die of thirst.
I clothe the sky with darkness
and make sackcloth its covering. -Isaiah 50:2-3

And not only that, we see God as seeking us. He honestly wants this relationship with us, although He doesn't need it. He seeks to help us, to rescue us, but we must answer Him when He calls us. Lord, help me to listen... help me to seek Your will all the days of my life. It is such an honor that You call me to be Your child... that You call me to do a part of Your work. I love so much any small thing that You give me to do.

But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:8-11

And the fact that God is with us and calls us gives us great responsibility. We are responsible in how we act, because we are living with Him. I'd always remind people as a young girl... "Would you do that if Jesus were right beside you? Because He is." (Jerry often got annoyed at this... I especially remember one game of pick up sticks when he got especially upset.) I think the faith is what I'm struggling with right now- faith in knowing that God will guide me. God is here with me, just like He was with Moses. Help me to live with faith and hope and love, Father... and to always do all things in a way that is honoring to the gift of Your presence.

15For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spiritf]">[f] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, 20which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way. -Ephesians 1:15-23

We read this last night at GCF, and I found it so helpful, so inspiring. I do pray for this wisdom, Lord... that I may be enlightened to what You are calling me to.

No comments: