Thursday, October 8, 2009

Now You See It- Now You Don't.

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.-John 21:4

It's always surprising to me that the disciples who had spent so much time so many days, inseparable from Jesus would not realize it was him at first. They just didn't see him. But, aren't we often the same? We can't see the embodiment of Jesus in our brothers and sisters from another country or of another circumstance. I can't help but think that if we did... if we were 100% aware and looking for the Jesus in everyone, this world would be so different.

Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help,
who rely on horses,
who trust in the multitude of their chariots
and in the great strength of their horsemen,
but do not look to the Holy One of Israel,
or seek help from the LORD. -Isaiah 31:1

Part of the problem with not seeing the Lord is not seeking the Lord. Often we get so caught up in our everyday every day that we forget to turn to our Savior for His plan for our lives. Put this way it sounds ridiculous. What more important thing do we have to do today than to look to the Holy One of Israel or seek help from the Lord. I hope that in this my 27th year, I may learn to look for you more, Jesus. Especially this year, I am waiting to see Your will for my life.

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I didn't notice this part before in this familiar verse: be evident to all. It's not enough to be rejoicing and to be evident. We must do so in a way that others may see it! And gentleness... not quite sure how to display that, but I can only think of a perfect example who is here with me. My dear friend Amy is so sweet and mild and gentle in her ways... I'm sure she's a perfect teacher on how to show this hard-to-pin-down quality.

No comments: